Thread: Anchor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat188 View Post
    If you had an anchor other than a mushroom type you could have saved some scratches, the wind would have blown that mushroom right back on the rocks. A coffee can filled with concrete would work better. Anchors have their place it's just that the round design of the mushroom makes it want to slide along the bottom instead of grabbing.
    Mushroom anchors work well with a muddy bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat188 View Post
    If you had an anchor other than a mushroom type you could have saved some scratches, the wind would have blown that mushroom right back on the rocks. A coffee can filled with concrete would work better. Anchors have their place it's just that the round design of the mushroom makes it want to slide along the bottom instead of grabbing.
    I think the mushroom would have worked fine ... IF we had one... I use a mushroom anchor quite a bit in Florida. It works fine for me down there. The bottom is pretty soft because of the silt and there is always a log or stick up or lot of hydrilla or lily pads that grab it. The ears of the mushroom grab stuff and a can with concrete would have a harder time latching on to something. I always let out a little slack so it pulls at an angle and this helps it dig in. They sure sell a lot of them. I like the ones with the four ears better than the pan shaped.

Like said above... In some instances I also use a drift sock if the situation is right. Hopefully the Ultrex will remedy some of the issues now. So far I really like the Ultrex spot lock anchor. Glad I didn't buy the Talon or Power Poles.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

An anchor is required by Ohio Revised Code. I carry a small type 2 mushroom anchor for the lakes around here (someone left it and the rope on the bottom for me to find with my trolling motor). If I head to the Ohio River I carry a 18 lb Richter anchor.
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

4. Member
    A sometimes overlooked part of the anchor is having a 5 foot or so length of heavy chain to help the anchor set. I use a 20 pound river anchor with the 3 flukes and it always seems to grab onto something around here.

5. Member
    I carry a 20 pound 2 fluke anchor in the boat. It is there if I need it. Unless you are running over the capacity plate the weight is not an issue.

6. Banned
    Most people don't know how to use a anchor. 20 ft deep and a 20 foot rope doesn't cut it. 2x amount of rope to your Depth. BTW concrete in coffee can is a joke

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWLipRipper View Post
    Most people don't know how to use a anchor. 20 ft deep and a 20 foot rope doesn't cut it. 2x amount of rope to your Depth. BTW concrete in coffee can is a joke
    That was the whole idea.

8. Member
    Yep, I carry 200ft of rope in case I need it.

No anchor, I mean I tried to take the mother in law once. But the concrete lifevest gave it away .

10. Member
    6lb to 8 lb fluke is the way to go all. Just for safety sake.
    2013 Ranger RT178
    60Hp 4 Stroke
    55 lb thrust Minn Kota Edge
    Lowrance Hook 9/ Bow
    Lowrance Elite 5/ Console

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisplewis View Post
    6lb to 8 lb fluke is the way to go all. Just for safety sake.
    Is that enough? I have always been around 20-30 pound anchors.

12. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Just a cheap mushroom anchor. Would sure like to have an ultrex.

13. Member
    It's actually 7x the depth for rated hold. Most conditions can get away with less.

14. Member
    I don’t carry one though I probably should. I fish mostly shallow marsh-no dams, no riprap, etc...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12