Dogfish_Jones

Question 2018 Terrova transducer install

I looked everywhere for a way to run my DI TM transducer on my 2018 Minn Kota Terrova. I've seen on You Tube on how to run it up the slot but the 2018 unit will not work that way because of the spring loaded block attached to the rod.
    I kept digging through the interent and found two places that makes a aluminum kit to keep the transducer wire from getting hung up.
    One was Precision Sonar and the other one was Cornfirld Crappiegear. Both we selling for $129 but I decided to go with the Cornfield Crappiegear unit because they had one that was for the 2018 Terrova unit. They may be the same but my worry is, I want to make sure it is far enough from the spring loaded box. It seems that is the main object to pass to where you do not get wrapped around when it is on spot lock.
    I guess my real question is, has anyone bought and used either one of these and how did it work out? It seems pretty easy to install and straight forward but on the water use determines if it is good or not.
    Of course I bought mine just before I found out the Minn Kota/Humminbird is coming out with the DI transducer installed in the motor head from the factory and those heads will not be interchangeable.....my luck...……..

2. Member
    I have an Ulterra but the solution is the same. Here are a couple of pictures of my inexpensive but VERY effective solution. I have been using this all year without a single issue. If you will PM me your email I can send you a short video showing it in action. I opted for this after seeing similar setups on youtube but adapted it to my specific boat/TM.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step

3. Dogfish_Jones
    Joe,
    I saw that other video where that guy made one from where you got your idea. Yours does seem a little more compact and neater. I ordered the setup from Cornfield Crappiegear and think it will do pretty good, They seem to think it can take even a few rotations without harming the transducer cord. I can see where the cost would have been much lower using your setup.
    When I install this setup and it does not work as advertised, my next option is doing something like you have one. I am glad Minn Kota/Humminbird is NOW adding the DI option to these trolling motors, I just wished they would have done it before I bought mine, lol.

4. Member
    I considered the Cornfield unit but just did not like the extended cable running from the top of the motor. I think I improved quite a bit on the units you see posted on YouTube as my cable is much smaller in diameter and puts ZERO strain on the motor. My total investment is probably $35-$40 and is rock solid. Let me know if you'd like to see the video. I am working on posting it to YouTube but that might take a little while.
    Good luck.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    Humminbird Mega360

5. Member
    Here are links to two YouTube videos showing how my External transducer is mounted to my Ulterra allowing the trolling motor to fully function. This same coiled cord mechanism should work for the Terrova as well. I have been using it for the last 5 months without incident.

Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Humminbird Mega360

6. Dogfish_Jones
    I got the bracket kit in from Cornfield Crappie yesterday and installed it in about 10 minutes. Today, I took it out for a test drive and everything worked great. Now I have my DI/Sonar back and it does not hiccup any when the trolling motor is running.
    I know Joe setup that he has shown here will work just fine too and at a much cheaper price. If you choose to not go the route as Joe has shown I highly suggest getting the kit from Cornfield Crappie. For me anyway just getting my clear DI back was worth the money.