Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    this is just my personal opinion.
    I have had I think 5 Fiberglass boats and almost that in Alum boats also.
    one thing I do is ill do my own upgrades like Electronics Power poles and so on myself. with the cost of this stuff these days a decent pair of Electronics is gonna cost you $3k. now you throw that into the financing and your paying X-amount of interest on that $3K worth of electronics for however long your loan might be for. me ill suck it up come up with the money for them and do the install myself where I'm not paying interest on them.

as far as your size of boat. that is all depending on the types of bodies of water you fish. here I wouldn't think of getting into anything smaller than 19'-20' but we have some big lakes and some can get really rough at times to the point even a 20' boat it gets a little sketchy. have been in some really nasty stuff over the years and thankfully no problems but I wouldn't have wanted to be in them in an 18' boat either.

a boat is huge investment but its all based on your goals and what you want to get out of it.
    if I was fishing mainly smaller bodies of water that didn't get really rough I would have no problem with a smaller boat but for me its not the case.

the boat I have I just bought and thought I got it for a good deal and still do but I'm still doing things to it that I want. its all about what you want out of it and what your willing to put in it.

again just my 2 cents

2. Member
    In my 30 some odd years of being on the water, there have been PLENTY of times I found myself thankful that I've always been poor, and couldn't afford the bigger boats, lol. I remember a few years that the local lake was high, and the guys in the big boats just flat couldn't get out of the canals. Same thing when the lake was low...the bigger boats just ran too deep...and yes, we _BARELY_ made it out some years with the motors up and paddling/poling our way out to the lake. That couple of extra inches of draft made the difference.

This past weekend, I ran my little 17 footer up into some coves that I just barely had enough room to turn around in with the TM. I couldn't even imagine attempting it in a hull that's 4-5 feet longer, and a foot or two wider. That said, I don't fish the big lakes any more, so ride comfort/chop performance is also much less of a concern to me as well. I also primarily fish alone, and I'm sure a larger boat would fit two far more comfortably. Though I do find myself occasionally being jealous of the additional storage space of the bigger boats, lol.

U don't need the latest stuff to go fishing. And It won't be the last boat you buy.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

4. Banned
    Fish finders is also overwhelming!!!! Garmin with panoptics and which units? Humminbird? Lowrance and waiting on this "new" technology that is supposed to be out next month. I feel like there is way too much information to sort through to pick the absolute best choices.

You looking to go fish or watch t.v.? I only use My electronics for depth and waterş And because it is Summer I know it is hotter than H E double toothpicks

5. Member
    Thank you for all the input! I realize everyone's opinion of not getting too wrapped up in the small details of fish finders, etc. I just want to make decisions that I don't regret.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc15 View Post
    Thank you for all the input! I realize everyone's opinion of not getting too wrapped up in the small details of fish finders, etc. I just want to make decisions that I don't regret.
    I think I have the perfect solution for you��
    2019 Ranger Z520L
    Evinrude ETEC 250 H.O. G2

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc15 View Post
    Hello all,
    I am researching like mad on this forum. I am wanting to get my first boat. I am looking at Ranger, primarily Z185 or Z518 on some end or year models. Mainly staying this size because it is my first, but also garage space. Don't need a "C" as I only feel I need a 150 for the first boat to start.

I am overwhelmed with all the new stuff coming out and want advice from you how to proceed. I know there is a new Mega built in transducer on the Ultrex. Is it worth waiting for?

With Panoptics I am torn between going Garmin or Humminbird. I know I want a point one, networked, and the best charts I can get. I realize this will bring opinions, but just looking for direction. And can I do the electronics myself? I am not afraid to try!

So anyone willing to chime in and give advice I would much appreciate it.
    You're looking at high quality boats. Can't go wrong with a Ranger
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

8. Member
    ...or a Bass Cat Sabre (my first boat this year)

9. Member
    As for fancy electronics and trolling motors, you'll spend a small fortune every couple years (or more if you can afford it) chasing the latest and greatest. I've fished tournaments as far west as Grand Lake and most every big lake east of there from a 18'er.

Make a list of what you really want. Take as many demo rides as you can get. I think you'll find some people can make a battleship ride rough, and other drivers can make the ride better than most. I've been blessed to drive and fish from some of the best. Not one of them would catch the fish for me.

Hang around tournaments enough and you'll learn to respect the dude in the boat that looks like it might not make it back to weigh in. I did spend a week in a Ranger 119 and have spent time in a 188. You have a fine list rigs for a guys last boat, much less his first.

10. Member
    Lots of good advice here and I asked a lot of questions on BBC about hulls, motors, electronics etc.

I purchased my first fishing boat, a 98 ranger r93 last Oct. used it a couple times and into storage. boat, motor, trailer and TM no electronics.

Others have mentioned these but I agree figure out what waters you want to fish and what boat best meets that.
    Set a budget and do your best to stick to it.
    If used get the motor inspected - had the guy drop it at a dealer they did compression and pulled hours on motor.
    Electronics I did myself Helix 9 di and si (shout out to BBG Marine for a great deal) If your handy at all do them yourself just not that difficult.

Someone mentioned learning the electronics. There is certainly a learning curve but it certainly does narrow down your fishing area. I got a good enough deal on the boat my budget allowed me to get better electronics.

Lastly get all the advice you can but remember you need to feel good about your purchase no one else does.

I have been happy with it so far, best of luck in your purchase!
    98 Ra​nger R93
    00 Evinrude 175hp Ficht
    HB Helix 12 Mega DI G4N
    HB Helix 12 Mega SI G4N
    HB Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

I just purchased a Ranger Z185 and whether it’s your first boat or last, it’s 100% Ranger quality all the way. From the carpet and seats to the ride quality, the fit and finish is second to none. The batteries come with it but they are cheap. I sold mine and upgraded to Sam’s Club AMG’s...no maintenance. Put on a manual slidemaster jackplate, gives the back fishing partner a ton more room plus you can mount a PowerPole. I run Lowrance HDS 12’s with an Ultrex...installed everything myself and saved a ton. Precision Sonar mounting plates are not cheap, but boy do they look good and are very functional. Get the middle flip-up seat, the Z185 looks unfinished without one. I personally like the look of the dual consoles and love the huge carpeted glove box that comes with it. One thing I did not think of was adding an extra cleat for docking. The rear cleat is in an awkward location so you might add one by the driver’s console. The Mercury 150 Four Stroke is silent and powerful...and is all you need. I also added a hamby keel protector which is great. Also, the boat only comes with one rod buckle on the deck, make sure to add one to the other side. All these guys that say go bigger, ask them what they paid for their boat. I paid 33k brand new and that’s with dual consoles, jackplate, center seat, rod buckle, Hamby keel guard and a livewell pump out. For the price and quality, the Z185 is a no brainer.
    Last edited by j791; 10-04-2018 at 06:34 AM.

12. Member
    Ended up going with a 2018 Ranger Z518! Very excited and wish I could get it out on the water. First chance was yesterday and there were 40mph gusts! Decided to not have my first day breaking in with that kind of wind. Also no electronics yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12