No top end no rpms no hole shot

I have a 04 triton tr 186 with a 04 optimax and 24 pitch tempest and one plug with a big hole. First thing in the morning it will get on plane alright with no water in love wells but with water in the live wells it is terrible and when the water heats up it won’t get on plane at all. The top end with no water first thing in the morning is around 52 running about 4750 rpms but when water heats up I’m lucky to get 4300 hundred running around 46. I have no idea what it could be I have tried a 17 pitch 4 blade that a buddy owns but hole shot was decent and top end was 40 with 4000 rms if I was lucky. Boat runs perfect cranks up first time and idles normal. When we first got boat around 3 years ago had 3 plugs and would do the same thing i just had no idea because it is the first boat I have owned.

2. Member
    Sounds like you may have a motor problem. I believe it should be turning almost 6k RPM under full load. Need to prop accordingly. If you went down to a 17" pitch and only made 4k I'd have to assume something is seriously wrong with your motor.
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

3. Member
    First thing to look at is the fuel system. Have you replaced your boats fuel lines. The old lines were not ethanol rated and thus deteriorate badly. Replace them from the tank all the way to the engine including your primer bulb. Use a factory one ( not an aftermarket one)! Now your Optimax will have a fuel manifold with a fuel filter either on the outside or inside ( depends on the year and model)/ It also has a float and electric pump. The float can get debris affecting it or your electric pump could be going bad. There may still be a diagram pump involved as well. EIther way have your Merc mechanic check all of it out. Next have the usual testing done like compression and computer readings pulled. The age of that motor might require some maintenance like new plug wires, plugs etc. If it turns out that it is lines and maintenance then you are lucky. Never reprop do to an engine needing maintenance. Also you could have issues with bad fuel and water in fuel. remove the fuel line at the engine and pump some fuel in a Jar and look at it. If you see water or debris (could even look like a fine powder in there) then you are looking at your tank having to be pumped out and thrown away. Replace with new fuel and fuel additive and do all the maintenance mentioned earlier.

4. Member
    I would check the throttle adjustment. Just because you put the shifter all the way forward or mash the hotfoot doesn’t necessarily mean the throttle is opening at the motor. Start with the easy stuff to check.

5. Member
    All of the above are good advice. I had a similar problem recently after I had pulled plugs to check them. I had evidently pulled one coil wire out of the coil slightly and was running on 5 cylinders not all 6. It ate me up because the coil wire was still into the boot and the boot was still on the coil. Looked like it was plugged in but barely just stuck into the boot. Just push all the coil wires and make sure they’re plugged in solidly to the coil.

'91 Skeeter 200SX Yamaha 200.
    It's hard to stumble when you're on your knees.

6. Member
    I changed fuel filter bulb and lines I could reach I’m gonna get it checked out by a mechanic and get back to y’all