Compressor Water Strainer-sheared off

I've been trying to resolve overheating issues that began after hitting a sandbar. I started with the water pump since it was due for it, but am still getting overheat alarm and the telltale looks light for a new pump. Went to check/clean the strainer and it sheared right off. Too bad they used plastic for this part! I used the 18 mm deep well socket so not sure where I screwed up. Obviously I need a new strainer.What I'm looking for is advice on how to get the old one out. It's flush..nothing to grab or turn. Do I need to drill it out? If so how and is this a job for a DIY? Changing water pumps is where I max out as far mechanical ability...

2. Member
    HP/ser nummight get large screw driver and drive in and unscrew
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    1.5L 115 Optimax(2008) Serial #1B723350

How would I go about getting a large flathead screwdriver in there far enough and snug enough to unscrew?

4. Member
    find size that blade fits snugly and tap in , use it like eze out
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Got the plastic strainer out with hot screwdrivers in a variety of sizes. Still need to clean the threads. I think picking at with a hot poke or knife tip will work, but tedious. Any suggestions...hot wire brush, solvent ?

Quote Originally Posted by feather thrower View Post
    Got the plastic strainer out with hot screwdrivers in a variety of sizes. Still need to clean the threads. I think picking at with a hot poke or knife tip will work, but tedious. Any suggestions...hot wire brush, solvent ?
    Shotgun bore brush.

7. Member
    I like that idea. I'm going to soak with acetone, heat up with a hair dryer, then go at it with a brass bore brush. I'll report back

8. Member
    What sealant are you going to put on the threads when you re-install the new strainer?

9. Member
    PTFE paste works great and what I use.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    PTFE paste works great and what I use.
    Don't over torque