273 rear transducer placement

Hey all - apologies in advance if this pops up as a duplicate post at some point in the future - It seems about every 3rd time I try posting here my original post gets stuck in limbo long enough for me to repost, and then I end up with 2.

So - I'm about to install my console graph setup, and need to mount the transom-mount transducer. This boat only has had the OEM in dash unit with the thru hull transducer from the factory. One previous owner had mounted a pitot tube for the speedo, and where it is mounted, appears to be a special spot on the transom for something along those lines. I'm going to replace the analog speedo with one of those 3" in dash stereos anyway, so pulling the pitot tube off would give me that spot for the transducer. I also wouldn't have to drill another hole in the transom for the cable, even if I do need to enlarge the existing hole, that's better than one more hole.

Although in most all of the pictures and examples for mounting a transducer, all seem to be on the driver's side of the motor - is there a specific reason for that? I can't think of one, but I've never done this before.

2. Member
    Attached Images Attached Images

What graph and what type sonar before I give input...my answer for traditional sonar and side image, down image will be very different.

4. Member
    Garmin echoMap 73SV - non-chirp. Has the GT40 transducer for Clear-vu and Side-Vu

I wish you had a jack plate because that is a good place to mount a side view for multiple reasons. One it gets a good view and two it's somewhat more protected. Since that is not your case your going to have to find a spot on the transom. In the picture it looks like you have two steps. On the main transom that is green there seems to be a bracket that has nothing going to it. The step under it that looks to be beige/off white...a lot lighter color than green. I would mount it right under that bracket on the first or second step pending which one has the best surface area or on the main green part right where the empty bracket is located. Just make sure the sonar beam will have a clear view from side to side as well as down. And yes side image does also look down. Most people don't realize that the black area in the center of the screen that changes width is actually a down view directly under the boat. The reason it gets wide or narrow is directly related to depth. Anyways I did not mean to get side tracked with how to read side view...The owner's manual should have some helpful mounting suggestions.

Oh and to as why 99% of the transducers are mounted to the drivers side of the motor I have no real data to support it but my opinion is rotation of the prop causing disturbance if its mounted on the other side...just my theory.

6. Member
    thanks for the feedback - yeah, dunno why my pic looks so greeninsh on here - it looks blue and grey on my phone...go figure.

Here's a little better look at the steps on each side.

7. Member
    Also - if I were get a jackplate down the road - what size should I be looking for?? I'm only running a Intruder 115 right now, but the boat is plated for a 150 - who knows what silliness I might do somewhere down the road.

6"jackplate...the 273 is a rocket with a 150. Once it gets lifted up on the pad it will chine walk but you can learn to counter steer for that. With a 115 it still gets on plane good and has decent speed. In the 17 ft class of boats the 273 is a beast

9. Member
    Does anyone have a jack plate with the 115? I have 99 273 with faststrike 115. I am not all about top end speed with mine 53 mph is enough. I have thought about a jack plate with the 115. Would it help with the hole shot? Thoughts?

10. Member
    Sorry didn't mean to change the topic of this thread. I will start a new one about the jack plate.