Thread: Kistler review

Kistler review

After breaking two custom rods built on the Phenix K2 713 blank (great rod just not fond of one piece rods suddenly becoming two piece rods) I have just about decided to replace that rod with a Kistler Helium 3 7' casting in M or ML. The only hesitation I have concerns the power of the M as opposed to the ML. Do any of you have experience with either/both rods? Mostly it will see use in a spotted bass lake with a drop shot, shakey head or small wacky senko on it. I have a much older Kistler spinning rod and the nearest dealer is about 200 miles away so I have no opportunity to hold it and test for myself.

Also would like an honest review, warts and all, on the Helium 3 M or ML casting version as all reviews I have seen cover the MH and heavier models.

Thanks in advance.

2. Banned
    I use the 7’ med casting for crankbaits Grant. Perfect action for them in my opinion. All I can help you with

3. Member
    from what your usage dictates i would go with the med lite. it makes a great drop shot rod because of the softer tip on the rod and it will do the small senkos as well. the med lite has a fast tip and the medium has an extra fast. Kistler heliums with extra fast tips are still extra fast in the rods action but the tip is soft lending it good at reaction baits as well. Honestly you cant go wrong with either rod If you are more over on the drop shots i would get the med light and if you are more over on the senko/ neko nail weight stuff and shakey head the med would be great . that being said they both can handle all the baits you mentioned. i really do not feel the med would be too powerful especially you being in northern cal around those huge spotted bass. Hopes this helps but whichever you get its going to do great. I use my ml for drop shots, spy baits, finese cranks like small shad raps, and wacky 3 senkos I use the med for shakey head 1/8-1/4 oz , small texas rigs, wacky senkos and rip baits when i need to work the bait more aggressively than i care to do with bait casting gear.

I own about 17-18 Kistlers at the moment. One of them is the 7' Medium X-Fast Helium III spinning rod. For the techniques you mentioned...dropshot, shakeyhead and senko...I throw all three on this rod and it does it really well. The only suggestion I would make is that if you can afford the z-bone...get that instead as the sensitivity difference is worth it at least for me.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fluke1987 View Post
    I own about 17-18 Kistlers at the moment. One of them is the 7' Medium X-Fast Helium III spinning rod. For the techniques you mentioned...dropshot, shakeyhead and senko...I throw all three on this rod and it does it really well. The only suggestion I would make is that if you can afford the z-bone...get that instead as the sensitivity difference is worth it at least for me.
    yeah i agree with fluke the 2019 z bones are super sensitive and have great tips on them for versatility for a multitude of baits.

6. Member
    I went to the Kistler site to compare the two rods (ML 7' C He3 vs ML 7' C ZBone) and found that the He3 has a Fast action while the ZBone has a Mod Fast action. While that would make the ZBone better for moving, treble hook baits it may negatively affect the ability to get a good hookset on soft plastics. For those of you who have experienced both, did you find that an issue. For almost double the price I want to make sure before getting a rod that may not suit the techniques for which I wish to use it.

Again, thanks in advance. Everyone who has responded has provided a great deal of help in making this decision.

A mod-fast action on top of it being ML would be too whippy for me personally. Fast or X-Fast taper is the way to go.

8. Member
    Fluke1987, I was a sticked Kistler fan for a very long time myself. Ive been making the switch to a different manufacture for a couple years or so. I had at least as many that you stated you have.I'm certainly not wealthy enough to drop several thousand bucks all at one time!!
    I wanted to ask if you might be interested in some more Kistlers. These are the last 4 I have left.

7'10" Z-Bone 5 power
    7'6" Z-Bone 5 power
    7'10" KLX Mark Rose signature offshore cranking/spooning rods...Med/Hvy-fast
    7'6" KLX Mark Rose signature ledge/cranking model...

Everything is in GREAT shape. I have high-end Lews reels on the 4 rods that I would send out with the rods if the price was right.

I just saw you were a Kistler fan and thought I would ask you about these rods...

Sent you a PM Dave

I have a kistler helium 3 ML spinning rod, I think kistler uses the same blank for spinning/casting.

Its super sensitive, the guides are decent but the blank is amazing.

My ML works perfect for the applications you have listed, did I mention the NFC blank is amazing :)