Is it possible to upgrade throttle control box?

I have an 80's Force 85 motor that a prior owner added a CMC tilt/trim unit to. Prior owner also decided the model/serial tag wasn't needed when he repainted it, so right now I'm not 100% sure what it is, other than assuming it's an 85HP based on being 3 cylinders, and that's what originally came on the Bayliner it's attached to. Yeah yeah yeah..I know...Force motors are better anchors than motors, and Bayliners are garbage boats...

Can I swap out the controls box for something with the tilt/trim switch in the throttle handle, or is this one of those "you get what you get" kind of things? Actually, I wouldn't doing this to the '73 Johnson 85 I have as well if I could.

Would that be a "Cobra" the Force is hanging on? Can't really tell you if there is a replacement control box with built in T/T switch, but you never know what will show up on ebay. I do believe the Force was made by Chrysler, so might check those controller too. Probably easier and cheaper to go with one of the steering mounted blinker style T/T switches.

3. Member
    Trophy 1710 boat. Already has a switch on the dash for the T/T, but it gets...interesting...attempting to manipulate trim when slowing down, especially when it gets choppy out there.

4. Member
    Yes it is possible.

Been a while since I worked on controls, so bear with me on exact nomenclature.

You have two cables, throttle and shift. You need to determine the “type” of ends used for your existing control box.

Some control boxes are “push” for throttle or “pull”. Need to determine what you have. Some control boxes can be reversed, but not all.

When you purchase a control box (used are available on Ebay) with tilt/trim, you will connect your wires to the new control box.

Wholesale marine is a good site for control cables and boxes.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/cont...ury-38087.html

5. Member
    I was thinking more along the lines of cable travel, more so on the shift side...not knowing if say, a box meant for a Johnson motor would have a different cable throw than a Force box, so that the transmission side of the motor wouldn't operate correctly. Coming from the performance automotive world, there are a bunch of aftermarket shifters for cars, with different gate places for different model transmissions as a Chrysler transmission has different cable throws than say a GM transmission would.

Which suddenly gave an idea, along with a "duh!!" moment, lol. I just Googled for universal outboard control box, and found that Teleflex makes exactly that, with the T/T switch in the handle. So I guess I answered my own question...