Ranger Z185 Review

I know some are looking for a review on the Z185 so I want to give my impressions.

First, here were the options on my boat:

Hamby Keel Protector (looks good, very functional)
    Port console (not a tournament guy, love the looks and the extra space...the carpeted glove box is great for wallets, keys, etc...
    Livewell pump-out (just thought it was a good idea...won't ever use it)
    Retractable rod buckles (comes with one...added one for the other side)
    Manual slidemaster jackplate (great for mounting powerpoles but more importantly it gives the back fisher person tons more room...motor is pushed back)
    TM deduct (Installed an 80lb Ultrex myself and saved a ton of money)
    Console Electronic deduct (You cannot even order an HDS-12. Ordered precision sonar plates for the bow and console...mounted HDS-12s myself...looks great and saved a TON of money)
    Center seat option (This looks great, very functional...without it the boat looks unfinished in my opinion)

Boat with options $33K not counting freight, dealer prep, and taxes.

Here is what it looked like when I bought it....

So what do you get for 33K? This boat will easily run in the 50's...plenty fast for the weekend warrior. The ride is smooth and dry. The boat layout is great with plenty of storage. The 4 stroke Mercury is quiet and powerful. The quality is the same that you will find on 80K Ranger boats...same compression lids, carpet, etc...

Now I can only speak as a weekend angler, but to say I'm impressed is an understatement. To get this quality at this price is in my opinion one of the best values on the market today. I have yet to hear one Z185 owner say they did not love their boat and I've heard from several on this and other forums.

Hope this helps anyone in the market.

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Nice report. Thank you for sharing, and in such detail.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Banned
    Yes they are great rigs. I have a z118 and love it, not much I would change but if I could would have gotten a single console. I wish the step was a cooler/storage like the z185. I have fiberglass fenders which look super sharp but I think the metal fenders are easier to maintain. And I would have opted for the 4stroke not the pro xs. Even tho it has been a great motor.

4. Member
    Thanks for sharing.

5. Member
    I do agree with you, mostly. I do love my Z185 except for the dual console. I couldnt find a single console near me, but my last Ranger was a dual so I thought I wouldnt mind, but I do.
    I solved that today and took my passenger console out. It was 8 screws and it fell off, it wasnt epoxied on. i just need to find me some pads to put where the small holes are and the larger hole
    that the lights came out of. I will miss the glove box, but I will build a coinbox for between the seats or buy one if I can find one to fit.
    2002 BassCat Cougar

The consoles remind me of a Storm Trooper!
    2005 Ranger 185DVS

7. Mike Lamb
    I have 518c and love mine. with the 200hp Mer I can hit 69mhp full load.
    Michael Lamb
    2017 / Ranger 518c 200 Mercury Pro XS
    Raleigh, NC

8. Member
    Thank you for taking the time to post this, enjoyed it.

9. Member
    Thanks for the write up, definitely a great boat and great price!

10. Member
    Hi guys,

I know this is an older post but I've been seriously considering a Z185. To the OP, did you say you can request that Ranger not install any electronics installed and they dropped the price? That would be perfect for me because I would like to install my own at a later time.
    Also, since you've had her for about 5 months now, do you still like her? Anything that you wished you would have installed or something that you bought that you wish you didn't?? Tight lines my friend!!!

11. Member
    I have had mine a year. Best boat for the size and money I could find. Only things I do not like are livewell recirculation single speed, livewell only 23 gallon.

12. Member
    Ive had mine for 8 month now. I took out the passenger console, replaced the standard trolling motor with an ultrex and added front electronics. I dont have any complaints about the boat at all now.
    2002 BassCat Cougar

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 411sponge View Post
    Hi guys,

I know this is an older post but I've been seriously considering a Z185.
    https://www.ltdmotors.net/default.as...=xNewInventory

Ask "Michelle" about the left-over 2015 Z-118 and Ye just might save a ton of dough.. Michelle saved Me a ton+

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    https://www.ltdmotors.net/default.as...=xNewInventory

Ask "Michelle" about the left-over 2015 Z-118 and Ye just might save a ton of dough.. Michelle saved Me a ton+
    Thank you sir!!

15. Member
    Just incase you want to know what to expect for top speed. Normally its 55-56, but in perfect conditions.

16. Member
    Just joined the Ranger family two weeks ago with a 2019 Z185 w/ 52 hrs on it. Boat & trailer look unused. Took it out for a shakedown last week and was very impressed with it. Build quality is great and that Merc 150 pxs4 is an amazing engine. Powerful and quiet. I’m a happy camper.