Bass and Gill Club in Plainfield

Any members on here? Looking for some reviews. I've only been once with a buddy who speaks highly of it. I'd like to hear some other opinions before buying a membership.

I was a member for two years about 6-7 years ago. The first year was outstanding. Many 3-4 lb fish by pitching plastics and jigs into laydowns. My biggest was 5.5 lbs and I had several others over 5. Most days my top 5 would have been between 15-20 lbs. That first year was the best sustained fishing throughout a season I have ever had. I literally did not take any summer fishing trips that year since I knew I was unlikely to do any better. The fishing went down in year two but it was still good. That was the year we had the major drought and after the 4th, it became very tough. I became concerned about low water levels since most of the water there is around 3'. That was the main reason I sold my membership and also because I stopped fishing other places and found myself becoming too one-dimensional.

The benefit of the club is that you can go there during the week and have the place all to yourself. On the weekends it will be a little more crowded but nothing like any of the public lakes around here. It would be great if you have kids. It is definitely worth it if you live close.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

3. Member
    I have kids that dont want to travel to go fishing, so I'm thinking it'd be a good way to get them out. Thanks for the info!

4. Member
    I have been a member for 5-6 years. I think it’s a great club with great people and some great fishermen. If your looking to go out there everyday and stick 15-20 lbs it’s not going to happen. But it does happen. They have some quality fish in the lakes and some of them have plenty of quantity also. They run a bass tournament once a month on one of the lakes and it’s a good time.
    For the kids, they have a couple parks to play at, and they have a kids fishing pond which I heard is loaded with fish. It’s strictly for kids. They also have camping which there are some really cool spots to setup at.
    Let me know if you have any other questions.

5. Member
    I decided to join. For the annual day of labor, I'm hoping I can spend some time fixing some of the docks. When I was on the north lakes, they were in pretty rough shape.

6. Member
    Do you plan on fishing tournaments with us? Most of us do our work days together. Over the years we have worked on docks, fish cribs, boat racks, and other things. Feel free to send me a pm if you are interested and I can put you in touch with rick who usually schedules them.

7. Member
    Happy to join your work crew, but I'm not into tournaments yet.

8. Member
    Was out last weekend and my partner caught on gulp minnows only. I tried everything else but refused to only throw minnows. Am I being too stubborn or have others had luck on jerk baits, etc?

9. Member
    I have also wanted to join the club but heard they are not taking on members. If there are members watching this post I'd also like to join a club In the Plainfield area with good bass fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I have also wanted to join the club but heard they are not taking on members. If there are members watching this post I'd also like to join a club In the Plainfield area with good bass fishing
    Have you checked out Pure Rod and Gun Club which is right down the street? I thought you could join yearly.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5

11. Member
    Which club out there has the best bass fishing? Do you know what the membership and fees are?

Which club out there has the best bass fishing? Do you know what the membership and fees are?
    The few people I talked to that had memberships to both said the fishing was comparable at both places. Granted this was 5-6 years ago.

There's also the club around Wilmington but I forgot the name of it.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5

13. Member
    When I joined a month or so ago, I was told it was the only membership available, so that may be true.

14. Member
    I've been a member for a few years now and while I'm unsure about the membership situation I can say I've been a little disappointed with the fishing. It's a great place to get away, and being that it's 10min from my house, it really can't be beat. While the opportunities are there for 4#+ fish, it's becoming increasingly rare, especially after April/May. That being said, it's still a great place and certainly don't plan on searching for greener grass.