FICHT Black oil at Prop

I have a pair of 2004 Evinrude 200's. E200FCXSRB. Port engine only had No Oil Alarm since I bought it. Even though I can see blue smoke in exhaust. Changed the Oil Injector with a factory new unit including oil lines, pressure switch and check valve. No Alarm now. Runs great, and Sounds perfect but while running, BUT, I see drops of black oil at exhaust and when I shut it down, black oil drips from prop and skeg. It drips for a while and looks like this picture.

I have changed ALL oil feed and return lines, ALL Fuel lines and filters. Running XD50 Oil. Engines have about 580 hours.

Can anyone help me figure this out? Been driving me crazy for weeks.
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    fresh oil isn't black usually? looks like sooty oil? every decarbed motor? is the cowling full of oil that drails out while tiled? ?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    Are you sure it's not gearcase oil possibly leaking from the propshaft seals or large O ring from the rear bearing carrier ?

4. Member
    Thanks for the replies. I did not do a decarb. May try this week. The cowling had oil in it, but I cleaned it up. That oil was blue, not the dark black.

I'm not sure if it's gearcase oil. But why would it be black? I just changed the gearcase oil a week or so ago. Will check on that.

Is it possible that the exhaust is reaching the gearcase oil since it only leaks after running?

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Unless the inside of your lower gearcase housing is spotless, any oil that finds its way from the upper to the lower will be traveling through lots of years of accumulated dirt and gunk. Blue oil can easily turn black on such a journey.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Take a whiff of the fluid if it has a fuel smell to it, that's possibly exhaust wash from the motor. I'd check the engine temps on that motor, you're running two counter rotators? If you head temp isn't up to temp that will cause the motor to run cooler than the starboard engine and use more fuel contributing to the issue.

7. Member
    Thanks again for the replies.

I have run this motor a few times and each time the black oil comes out. I see some oil about an hour or two after I shut her down. Then overnight, I get a puddle this size in the picture.

Fluid has no gas smell. Just oily smell. This boat is new to me, so I don't know much history. I just changed the thermostats on both motors.

Also pulled the gearcase drain plugs on that motor to see if the oil is black. Not black. It is a little milky though, so looks like I need to do some gearcase seals.

Anyone ever do a decarb in the driveway?? I don't want to let the crap that comes out into the LI Sound.

8. Member
    Thanks again for the replies.

I have run this motor a few times and each time the black oil comes out. I see some oil about an hour or two after I shut her down. Then overnight, I get a puddle this size in the picture.

Fluid has no gas smell. Just oily smell. This boat is new to me, so I don't know much history. I just changed the thermostats on both motors.

Also pulled the gearcase drain plugs on that motor to see if the oil is black. Not black. It is a little milky though, so looks like I need to do some gearcase seals.

Anyone ever do a decarb in the driveway?? I don't want to let the crap that comes out into the LI Sound.

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Don't do it on a concrete driveway it will stain it for life. When you do the decarb you'll kill every mosquito in 5 square miles. Don't worry about that. It is best to have the lower unit submerged when you do it so you don't get a runaway condition. Having it submerged will prevent that.

10. Member
    Thanks ChampioNman. I am thinking about making a big barrel that I can use in the driveway so the lower unit is submerged. Do you think that will suffice for the decarb? I expect that it will hold quite a few gallons, and it doesn't need to be water tight. I can just keep adding water as it spills out.

11. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsmagnasport View Post
    Thanks ChampioNman. I am thinking about making a big barrel that I can use in the driveway so the lower unit is submerged. Do you think that will suffice for the decarb? I expect that it will hold quite a few gallons, and it doesn't need to be water tight. I can just keep adding water as it spills out.
    It'll work but will make a mess. Water will go everywhere. I'd try to take it to the lake so you can run the piss out of 'er after you're done. I think that will do the best job.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    It'll work but will make a mess. Water will go everywhere. I'd try to take it to the lake so you can run the piss out of 'er after you're done. I think that will do the best job.
    It is best to let the Tuner sit in the motor at least 6 hours.

If you can find a 55 Gallon plastic drum stand it on end and cut it in half that will work just fine.

13. Member
    Update: Thank you All for your suggestions. I did a good DeCarb on the engine and it worked great. No more Black Oil.