AOY day 3 blast off

While I was sitting in my boat and waiting for the Elite guys to take off yesterday (Sunday) morning at Chatuge, Dave Mercer was speaking over the PA system and said this was the strongest AOY field in years, and probably wouldn't be duplicated ever again due to the turmoil and changes about to happen in the sport. I don't know if that was off the cuff and not thought out, or planned. I hope, for his sake, he didn't step in it as far as his job with BASS goes.

He will be fine.

3. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Never him as someone who had an issue saying what was on his mind, or seen where BASS was to concerned about that since it makes it more interesting. They are not Nascar dictating what can be said.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

BASS also gave plenty of airtime to the guys rumored to be leaving. Even featured some of them prominently. Gonna honor their Classic berths etc. BASS will be fine just as MLF/PBT and FLW will be. Life will go on. Its not the end of any of them Mercer included. He is well thought of in the industry and will always find a gig if he wants one. Hell he might take an Elite slot and start fishing again, same with Zona. You never know.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    BASS also gave plenty of airtime to the guys rumored to be leaving. Even featured some of them prominently. Gonna honor their Classic berths etc. BASS will be fine just as MLF/PBT and FLW will be. Life will go on. Its not the end of any of them Mercer included. He is well thought of in the industry and will always find a gig if he wants one. Hell he might take an Elite slot and start fishing again, same with Zona. You never know.
    That would be a great marketing ploy by BASS, could entice a bunch of guys to come back and take the dead money.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    While I was sitting in my boat and waiting for the Elite guys to take off yesterday (Sunday) morning at Chatuge, Dave Mercer was speaking over the PA system and said this was the strongest AOY field in years, and probably wouldn't be duplicated ever again due to the turmoil and changes about to happen in the sport. I don't know if that was off the cuff and not thought out, or planned. I hope, for his sake, he didn't step in it as far as his job with BASS goes.
    He see's the bigger picture, nobody wins in a civil war. The sport may be stronger years down the road as a result of this after all these factions join forces as one strong organization but its gonna be a rough ride in the meantime.

7. Banned
    I would hate to see a guy lose his job for simply stating the truth.

It was a tournament to put in the history books. Big changes are coming, and I commend him for saying it. Could be the beginning of the end you just never know.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Legend LE-195 View Post
    He see's the bigger picture, nobody wins in a civil war. The sport may be stronger years down the road as a result of this after all these factions join forces as one strong organization but its gonna be a rough ride in the meantime.
    Might be good for him, more competition for MC's as well. In that role you don't want total domination by one group, even your own. He doesn't get paid based on dedicated viewership, he get's paid based on supply and demand and how much BASS values keeping him. One chair in the industry, zero leverage, three chairs more leverage equals better job security and potentially better compensation.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Legend LE-195 View Post
    Agree. I think both tours will ultimately be successful in the end. Sure BASS is gonna take a big hit short time. No doubt. I think however the dink fest of MLF will get old for a lot viewers sooner or later. I know I’m already tired of it. It’s just not a tournament to me, and I think a lot of guys have my mind set too. I think that’s why both will ultimately end up successful, because there will be something for everyone regardless of your presence.

10. Banned
    Mr. Mercer is a member here, perhaps once the chips fall, all of them, He will come back to BBC™ and dialogue?

Quote Originally Posted by TownesZ21 View Post
    Might be good for him, more competition for MC's as well. In that role you don't want total domination by one group, even your own. He doesn't get paid based on dedicated viewership, he get's paid based on supply and demand and how much BASS values keeping him. One chair in the industry, zero leverage, three chairs more leverage equals better job security and potentially better compensation.
    Well, Mercer certainly is better than Lurch. But, he's gonna lose BIG TIME to Shelli!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

12. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    You routinely here Mercer talk about anglers being Forrest Wood Cup winners, Cup AOY winners and their FLW earnings. Now he does not talk about it to the point that he is promoting the other trail but he has no problem acknowledging an anglers past achievements. I take what he said as being similiar in nature. He was not promoting MLF he was just merely acknowledging the fact that next year's Elite filed will not be as strong as this years field.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    You routinely here Mercer talk about anglers being Forrest Wood Cup winners, Cup AOY winners and their FLW earnings. Now he does not talk about it to the point that he is promoting the other trail but he has no problem acknowledging an anglers past achievements. I take what he said as being similiar in nature. He was not promoting MLF he was just merely acknowledging the fact that next year's Elite filed will not be as strong as this years field.
    Agreed

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    Agree. I think both tours will ultimately be successful in the end. Sure BASS is gonna take a big hit short time. No doubt. I think however the dink fest of MLF will get old for a lot viewers sooner or later. I know I’m already tired of it. It’s just not a tournament to me, and I think a lot of guys have my mind set too. I think that’s why both will ultimately end up successful, because there will be something for everyone regardless of your presence.
    Not if you call him Mr. Mercer, that's Dave's father.

15. Member
    Come to think of it, he did mention all of Brent Ehler's FLW conquests as he was announcing him at blast off.

16. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post

I respect your opinion an I do agree somewhat with it getting old watching the dink fest. However if you look at the big picture with an open mind MLF realizes there is a very large untapped market they appeal to. People who do not tournament fish, women and children who never watch the FLW Tour or the Bassmaster series are watching MLF. This is a HUGE market. Then you throw in the tournament anglers that would watch the show just for the fact it's a televised tournament with prominent anglers and the market gets even larger. I think it's more of a made for TV reality show even though it is still an actual tournament. From a marketing and advertising standpoint it is a huge sucess because the audience is so broad. Your advertising $ is being seen buy a lot more people than tournament anglers and this will be the key to their sucess.

I like Mercer. He will do a fine job no matter where he is.

Dave is almost as wealthy as KVD .

Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    I like Mercer. He will do a fine job no matter where he is.

+1...