Trolling motor advice

For those of you that fish brackish water to full on salt water on tidal rivers, do you use a "freshwater" TM if you do how does it hold up? Or do you just go to the "saltwater" models?

Thanks

Jeremy
    2000 Ranger R91I
    2017 Mercury 200 Pro XS SN:2B360040

2. Joe4d
    Well I am just getting back into it, so cant speak of modern stuff, But I had an OMC standard freshwater model. All I fished was brackish and salt. for 15 years. Honestly todays MK's use composite shafts. Water in motor is bad whether salt or fresh, tops should be water tight.. Spray it off each time u fish.
    Cant swear it will be ok, but I ordered a FW model this time again.

3. Member
    I have fished the brackish waters on the Chesapeake Bay. The freshwater Minn Kota's are okay but show signs of saltwater corrosion over time. I have a 70 Maxxum. I intend to replace it with a Riptide Terrova. Itr is worth the extra cost in the long run in my mind. I originally fished freshwater with the boat so my decision was not a mistake back then, just my needs changed.

4. Member
    Been fishing tidal brackish water for 30 years. The newer MK don't seem to mind at all. True salt water might be a different situation.

5. Member
    I fish brackish water all of the time. My Minn-Kota trolling motor outlasted my Stratos trailer and is still going. I paint the motor each winter so it does not rust.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumping Jimmy View Post
    I fish brackish water all of the time. My Minn-Kota trolling motor outlasted my Stratos trailer and is still going. I paint the motor each winter so it does not rust.
    Ha ha. Anything will outlast a Stratos trailer in brackish water.