Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Slow acceleration mode on Ultrex

Can this be turned off? First time using it in milfoil. With it turned on high the high speed won’t kick in with grass on it..
    Basscat!

2. Member
    No it can not. all digital troll motors have this built into the control board.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRR884 View Post
    First time using it in milfoil.
    Please tell me you found milfoil on Old Hickory Lake.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    No it can not. all digital troll motors have this built into the control board.
    The Fortrex is digital and it doesn’t have this feature?
    Basscat!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    Please tell me you found milfoil on Old Hickory Lake.
    no Guntersville
    Basscat!

6. Member
    I had the same issue . It is not very weedless when used in this manner.

7. Member
    So you say, but it is there.

8. Member
    If it's a variable speed motor these days, it is digital. Maxxums, Fortrex, Ultrex, Ulterra, Terrova and others. The slow start is a feature that cannot be turned of of the PWM control board.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

9. Member
    I was wondering about this as well. My buddies Ultrex would not even turn when we got into heavy weeds that my Maxxum goes through easily. We both figured something has to be changed or else the motor is almost useless in weeds?? Slop fishing is out of the question. Did he get a lemon??

Blood Donor, Organ Donor.......Tournament Donor..

10. Member
    my Fortrex “ dosnt have the slow start ? & cuts the weeds like butter ! , but will throw ya outta the boat “ if not paying attention!

11. Member
    I think all Minn Kotas have a delayed/slow start but its subtle enough that if you arent paying attention, yup, itll throw ya. The Ultrex just wont turn in the weeds like the Maxxums/Fortrexes do. When it gets a bit of a pile up on it, the prop wont turn at all. Where as my maxxum you gotta have a hundred pounds on it and even then it still trys. (Im not advocating loading up the motors)

12. Member
    All the variable speed motors from MinnKota have the soft start -- Maxxums, Fortrex, Terrova's, Ulterra's, Ultrex, Traxxis. I have no problems going through the pads and weeds in the SW Arkansas lakes.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

My Terrovas and this Ultrex will not start when they are against something solid like a stump or a rock.. Which is a lot better than tearing something up. I have got them chocked down with enough hydrilla they would not start even on high. When this occurs I just raise the motor in and out of the water a couple of times to break some loose.
    There are also a couple different brands of cutters you can mount on the motor that work good.

14. Member
    My ultrex does the same thing in weeds. That slow start thing sucks . I hav ehad the maxxum and fortrex before this and I could hardly tell that it had this feature . The ultrex makes me think it is broke every time I hut the go button because for a brief moment nothing happens . It is even worse on slower speeds because it takes a while to get the boat moving.

15. Member
    My point exactly jkirch. There is certainly a huge difference between the Ultrex and the Fortex/Maxxum that I have noticed. Something isnt right with this new model. Could it be only certain models??

16. Banned
    I like that feature on the ultrex but it would be nice to be able to adjust or bypass it when needed.

I, like a few of you, also believe that the ultrex has a slower start feature than say a maxxum does.

I can't speak to the slow start as being a problem on my Ultrex in HEAVY grass/weeds. Now that may be, due in part, to the Ninja Grass Blade. Read some of the testimonies here on BBC under "Ninja Grass Blade" to see what other forum members are saying. I fish all winter on Okeechobee and feel like I can go any where I want in the nastiest of stuff.
    www.Ninjagrassblade.com

18. Member
    I bought a grass blade just before I bought the ultrex . I didn't put it on my fortrex and almost put it on the ultrex . I then read that it voids the warranty . In less than a year the ultrex has been in the shop two times . I hope I don't have to get it fixed again but it seems many people are having issues . I would hate to put the blade on then have something else break and get denied on a warranty claim .

Quote Originally Posted by jkirch View Post
    I bought a grass blade just before I bought the ultrex . I didn't put it on my fortrex and almost put it on the ultrex . I then read that it voids the warranty . In less than a year the ultrex has been in the shop two times . I hope I don't have to get it fixed again but it seems many people are having issues . I would hate to put the blade on then have something else break and get denied on a warranty claim .
    It has been discussed on BBC before and determined it does NOT void the warranty. You do not have to modify (drill holes) to install it. It no more voids the warranty than the Trol-Lok, which you have to drill a hole to install. The factory Techs will not work on it due to safety; the chance of cutting themselves while working on the TM being the reason. The NGB can be removed and reinstalled once the TM is returned to you. The double sided tape can be purchased at Lowes, Home Depot or Walmart ($5). If I need work on my TM at a tournament, with service crews, I just tape the cutting edge for safety.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfish1 View Post
    It has been discussed on BBC before and determined it does NOT void the warranty. You do not have to modify (drill holes) to install it. It no more voids the warranty than the Trol-Lok, which you have to drill a hole to install. The factory Techs will not work on it due to safety; the chance of cutting themselves while working on the TM being the reason. The NGB can be removed and reinstalled once the TM is returned to you. The double sided tape can be purchased at Lowes, Home Depot or Walmart ($5). If I need work on my TM at a tournament, with service crews, I just tape the cutting edge for safety.
    I have the customer remove them before I will accept the unit in for repairs. I don't want to be accused of breaking something, or disconnecting something, that isn't suppose to be on the trolling motor in the first place.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast