Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fouling #1 plug - 200 opti

Hi guys. Happy to have found this forum. Seems like there's a wealth of knowledge on here. I learned how to replace the compressor and get the injectors cleaned because of BBC, so thank you.
    On to the problem:
    I've been battling a misfire for a few months now. It typically starts in the upper RPM's, say 4500 or so, while cruising. I replaced the plugs and wires, and noticed that one of the wires was dry rotted, and also that the #1 cylinder plug was fouled. Boat ran like a top for probably 10 hours and then the misfire came back. #1 plug was fouled again. Next time out my compressor seized up (unrelated I figure), so I replaced that with a new one and also had all 12 injectors cleaned and flow tested. A couple of them were pretty fouled up according the the flow sheets. Put it back together and it ran better than ever. Then, like clockwork, 10 hours later that #1 plug is getting fouled again, causing the misfire. I tried a new coil and the problem came back. I'll be doing a compression check here shortly, but I'm wondering if a chipped or not sealing reed valve could cause this? Anything else I should check for? All new filters, cleaned compressor strainer, poppet valve, thermostats (newer style), fuel lines.
    On a possibly somewhat related note... my boat seems to go through more oil than my old 150 opti I had did.. a lot more. Probably around 30:1 or so. (even before I put it in break in mode after the compressor change... which was 20 hours ago or more)

Thanks in advance.
    -Mag

1. 0t019180
    2. 2000 Optimax
    3. Tempest plus 24
    4. 5600 rpm
    5. No idea
    6. The old 3 light round gauge and an analog tach

Did you inspect the reeds? Ahh just saw you said something about them. I would take a hard look at them.
    Ryan Bauman 2022 Ranger 520R 250 Mercury ProXS Fourstroke

3. Member
    I’m fighting the same isuee with good old number 6. Lots of compression but keeps foulding the plug.

4. Member
    check both for turned sleeves
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    ? Turned sleeves. So I’m only guessing what your saying is that the sleeves in the cylinder have turned and that’s what’s causing the fouling of the plugs?
    Last edited by Kevinweir; 09-24-2018 at 01:37 PM.

6. Member
    possibly, seen 2 that no one could stop plugs from fouling on, was just a smidge low on comp in that cyl, bore scoped bingo
    Last edited by JOE54; 09-25-2018 at 06:53 AM.
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Also- you mentioned getting the injectors cleaned. Who did the fuel rails, hoses, and validated the Injectors/Direct Injectors?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Sorry guys... didn't get any emails to tell me this post had responses... probably went into junk mail.

Dale at injectorman.com did my injectors.

I took the reeds out today and one of them had a chip in it about the size of a dime cut in half. It was on the third bank of reeds from the top. Could this cause the #1 cylinder to foul?
    Also... I had A LOT of oil residue around the intake, intake plenum, and reeds... I assume this reed that wasn't sealing could be causing this?

I have a new set of TDR reeds from European Marine to go in... thanks for your help.

Thanks again guys. I'll let you know how it goes when I get it back on the water.

-Mag

9. Member
    Left over oil in the plenum is perfectly normal.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Bad reeds on #3 could indeed cause a rich running condition on #3, as well as other (especially adjacent) cylinders.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    I was digging around a bit this evening, trying to chase down what I thought could be a bad ground. Symptom was that at high rpms if I used the trim, the motor would bog down some. I remembered somebody on here writing that the liquid tape they used had made it so there was a bad connection on one of their wires, and all of these problems seem to have started around the same time that I put new battery cables on and used liquid tape on the studs/nuts. So I cleaned up all the connections, cleaned up the grounds, and in the process I knocked the #1 spark plug wire off... wait what? Yeah... the wire was barely hanging on there. Oh I checked all the plug wires beforehand alright... on the plug side. This one was loose on the coil side. And now you know... I'm an idiot.

-Mag

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Hopefully that resolves your remaining problem so that you can enjoy the engine now!

13. Member
    Mistakes happen........atleast you figured it out!

14. Member
    Still running rough. Bummer. Need to check the compression to rule that out.

15. Member
    Did compression check today. Engine warm, full throttle, all plugs out... got between 75-80 across the board. Seems low but maybe it's my $20 amazon compression gauge?

16. Member
    Think it's possible that this is from being over-propped? I have a 24 pitch prop on there now, which is perfect when it's just me in the boat. But when I put a couple more guys in the boat it's definitely too much prop... and coincidentally this is the time I typically get the misfires starting. Hmmm...

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    Did compression check today. Engine warm, full throttle, all plugs out... got between 75-80 across the board. Seems low but maybe it's my $20 amazon compression gauge?
    Likely is the gauge. Unusual to have a skip directly tied to "load"- but it may potentially have some bearing on the situation.

Have you clipped a timing light to each plug wire one at a time, while it is "skipping"?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post

Have you clipped a timing light to each plug wire one at a time, while it is "skipping"?
    I haven't, but it's easy enough to do. I'll try that when it starts acting up again in a few hours. :)

19. Member
    Ran it with a timing light today... Spark is there at all times.

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Let's back up a couple steps:

-Reed cages lapped, TDR Reeds Installed, Correct?

-Spark Plugs Inspected (better yet, replaced)?

-Plug wires in pristine condition (not nicks, worn spots, chalky-leakage type marks)?

If all above are YES, try a known-good MAP sensor (from another properly running Optimax if you can find one). Sometimes oil will become lodged in the neck of the MAP and dampen/distort it's function, and can cause strange performance problems such as you are having.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast