Trolling motor upgrade for Z6

I have a Minn Kota Maxxum 24v on my Z6 Nitro. Am fishing a lot of lakes that only allow electric - no outboard power. I had two of the speed coils fail this year on the Maxxum apparently due to excessive heat buildup in the motor. MK customer service told me I needed a variable speed motor in order to eliminate this problem if I plan to run the motor on high speed for extended periods. Looking to buy an Ultrex 36v and wanted to hear if this expenditure is worth it. I know I need a third battery, not sure about the power cables. Would appreciate any advice.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn K View Post
    I have a Minn Kota Maxxum 24v on my Z6 Nitro. Am fishing a lot of lakes that only allow electric - no outboard power. I had two of the speed coils fail this year on the Maxxum apparently due to excessive heat buildup in the motor. MK customer service told me I needed a variable speed motor in order to eliminate this problem if I plan to run the motor on high speed for extended periods. Looking to buy an Ultrex 36v and wanted to hear if this expenditure is worth it. I know I need a third battery, not sure about the power cables. Would appreciate any advice.
    Have to talk to John Jones tomorrow, but my understanding is you wouldn’t be using the speed coil with the motor on high.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    CatFan is correct. when on max setting(5) on a five speed troll motor the max voltage is placed directly to the armature. As Minn Kota has stated you will be much better of with variable speed in those applications. As you stated, if you fish electric only lakes, then 36 volt is probably your best bet.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Have to talk to John Jones tomorrow, but my understanding is you wouldn’t be using the speed coil with the motor on high.
    Or Brad!
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Using any trolling motor on high for extended periods of time tends to burn the wiring or connections in the motor circuit. The usual failure is the quick disconnects at the top of the motor shaft. The wiring in the motor circuit is only 10 gauge, much smaller than the boat circuit. I recommend a variable speed (%) motor and another motor on the rear of the boat. You can cut down a 2 x 6 piece of wood that you can clamp under your main motor when you trim it down, and clip another motor on to it. Run wires to the front of the boat through a Big Foot switch and leave that motor on high, and lock it straight ahead. When you need to make time step on the Big Foot and steer with the front motor.

6. Member
    Even on a variable speed, the pulse width modulation circuit is going to continuous flow when on high. The difference is the size of the armature and the heat it (talking about the brushes/brushcard) will accept.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]