Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

It's amazing how fast you can end up in the ER

Yesterday I tackled what should have been an easy ceiling fan job. I had a new porch cover installed and the guys left the wire I had pre-run left hanging in the middle of the porch. So, I go climbing up the ladder with some glasses on knowing drilling into a steel beam over my head to mount the box I might get metal shavings in my eyes. I didn't even think about the damn wire hanging there as I was climbing the ladder talking with my wife and FIL. As luck would have it that wire ended up between my glasses and poked me right in the eye.

We finished the job after I sat down and said a few bad words holding my eye. A few hours later I was standing at the kitchen sink and it felt like someone stabbed a fork through my eye. I thought maybe something had got in there so I flushed again...no luck. The Urgent Care was closed so off to the ER. Come to find out I have a Cornea Abrasion...from walking INTO A WIRE. Goooot Lawd getting old isn't for sissy's.

So much on saving a few dollars on an electrician. Seriously thankful that it's only a scratched cornea. It would have been much worse if one of those three stiff wires had actually punched into my eye.

2. Member
    Hope you are going to be all right. Yes things can go wrong in a hurry.

3. Member
    Glad it was not worse.

4. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    hope you heal quick,, i have actually done that, only it was a garage door opener

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

That sucks. So much for safety. Next time you'd probably have to wear a full face shield to change the light bulb.

I know of a story where a guy did get his eye punctured by a wire in his eye. Walking through a newly built house with roughed-in electric. His eye got infected and it spread to his brain and he died.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

I’ve had an abrasion once that look like a three pronged pitch fork scraped me on the white of my eye (large wood chip from a chainsaw and yes I had safety glasses on, always do) , at least that what it felt like. I feel your pain. Hope it heals quickly for you!
    Last edited by WVBullet; 09-23-2018 at 01:50 PM.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

7. Member
    Thanks guys, I have some anti-biotic ointment that should help heal a bunch quicker.

Scratched one years ago ( chemical) Dr. Put the yellow stuff in my eye and said----- "you'll be ok, just a scratch--- "

Climbing ladders? At your age!!....you've been warned!...J/k...heal up soon!

Hope you heal quick.

11. Member
    Mom did something similar. Was with friends and went down to get a drink from a straw. Ended up with the straw in her eye and a trip to the urgent care center.

Think about what would have happened if the power was on.

13. Member
    John, glad you didn't fall off the ladder. Hope your eye heals normally. I'm a big pansy when it comes to pain above my neck.
    GETFISHED !!!

14. Member
    I wear shatterproof safety glasses (or sunglasses) for everything from fishing to mowing the lawn. They are cheaper than ER visits. The last time I didn't was about 40 years ago crawling under my car. When the rust started raining down it did not end well.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

15. Banned
    Trust me...romex has a way of finding eyeballs. Running it over trusses it likes to circle back and stab you in the face sometimes. Reflexes get good after awhile though. I wear Oakley safety glasses fyi.

You're lucky; it could have been a lot worse.

17. Member
    It can happen fast for sure. Hope you recover quickly. I was cleaning siding on a windy day a couple years ago and a big drop of bleach hit me square in the right eye. Off to the ER I went, hurt like a son of a gun.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clif Kincaid View Post
    Trust me...romex has a way of finding eyeballs. Running it over trusses it likes to circle back and stab you in the face sometimes. Reflexes get good after awhile though. I wear Oakley safety glasses fyi.
    I thought ahead on plastic lens glasses for the metal shavings that may fall. I NEVER considered the wire getting me LOL. You bet my next 100th trip to Lowes for the week (nothing like buying an almost 30 year old house to get ya there LOL) I'm picking up a pair of safety glasses. I have a bunch more stuff to finish around here and while the eye already feels much better I know how lucky I was.

Today's chore was fixing two toilets that sounded like they were on their last leg. Popped in a couple of new valves and momma thinks I am the best thing since sliced bread.

19. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Al from Canada View Post
    You're lucky; it could have been a lot worse.
    Yeah it could have been a poke in the eye with a sharp stic........oh nevermind ! Heal quick.
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

20. Member
    I broke 4 ribs seven weeks ago. Tripped on air hose in my shop. Wonder how many guys go to ER every day trying DIY stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast