Replacing tip eyes

I got about 20 rods that need a new tip eyelet either they are cracked or ceramic is gone. How does a guy go about getting the right size to replace? Micrometer?also where is a good supply house to get them? thanks
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

2. Member
    The micrometer might work for measuring the rod for the size tip, and remember the ring size (part line goes thru). I got stung and bought some online that were way too big. Might be good to call Mudhole and talk with them before you order...BF

3. Member
    The first thing I would do before measuring and then ordering replacement tip tops, is to make sure I can take off the existing tip tops without damaging the blank. Some manufacturers use a regular epoxy that does not weaken with heat. In those cases you need to cut the tip where the tip top's tube ends. Once you get all the tip tops off, measure the blank 1/2" down from the tip of the blank. That will be the dimension that you're looking for. Make sure you are measuring the actual blank. If there is thread finish on the blank you'll want to remove it before measuring. Tube IDs for tip tops are given in 64ths of an inch, so you'll want to convert your measurement to 64ths. Personally I use a pair of digital calipers that can display measurements in fractions.

Oh and good point about matching ring size. Ring size is given in milometers. To order the proper replacement size either measure the OD of the ceramic ring or the ID of the frame that goes around the ring. That will give you the size you need to order. To measure, I use the same digital calipers mentioned earlier.

Lots of places to order tip tops. Mud Hole, Get Bit ... etc.
    Last edited by Bassbme; 09-23-2018 at 09:12 AM.

4. Member
    First thing i would get is one of these.

http://www.mudhole.com/CRB-Tip-Guide-Sizing-Gauge

5. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    First thing i would get is one of these.

http://www.mudhole.com/CRB-Tip-Guide-Sizing-Gauge
    YES.. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

6. Member
    Call the manufacturer of your rods they will likely send you free of charge guides of the exact specifications. Very easy to replace.

7. Member
    easier just to put a new tip on it