Thread: Battery for SHO

Battery for SHO

Have to get a new battery for my 250 Sho. Will 840MCA & 672CCA be sufficient? Running 2 HDS10s &. Very seldom run live wells since I don't tournament fish & don't keep the bass.
    I've heard you need a battery (with RC) big enough to operate the space station to " any good marine battery will work", whatever that means. Looking at group 31 Duracell, 800/1000, 200RC
    Vs. the Maxx 29DC, 840 MCA, 210RC. Any knowledgeable, first hand info would be appreciated, not" any good marine battery will work".
    Thanks

2. Member
    From the owners manual:
    Min Cold Cranking amps 700
    Min Marine cranking amps 900
    Min reserve capacity 220 minutes

3. Member
    One of these has been in my boat for almost 300 hours since new in 2015 and still works perfectly. Just for reference.

http://www.bruteforce.com/index.php/...agmbpl34m.html
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

So neither of the batteries I listed will work?
    Marshfly, you're using a group 34 & RC of 135. Are you running any HDS units? The HDS pulls around 2 amps if I remember correctly. Just wonder how that would work with mine.
    Last edited by tracer1; 09-23-2018 at 08:00 AM.

5. Member
    I have an HDS 9 running from that battery. Coincidentally, I think that battery died in the past week. I went fishing today and had issues with cranking and rough running at idle and noticed below 12.0v on the Yamaha gauge and flashing when it was cranking. I'm going to replace it with an X2 Grp 27 since I can get that locally at Batteries Plus and the specs are awesome.

However the battery has worked perfectly since new up until today. It's what Yellowfin specs on new boats for cranking and house batteries in everything they build.

The X2 are great batteries. Make sure you use SS nuts with Star washers, lock washers or SS lock nuts. NO WING NUTS.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    The X2 are great batteries. Make sure you use SS nuts with Star washers, lock washers or SS lock nuts. NO WING NUTS.
    If your battery comes with wing nuts it's probably junk to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    If your battery comes with wing nuts it's probably junk to begin with.
    Not necessarily, Years ago they were what you used. Now it's the ss nuts. In fact the thing to use today is this:

Supposed to be so much better connection than just those old SS locknuts we are using now. Still use the locknut but now it's the standard post connector adapter ( for lack of better description). I guess in years to come marine studs may be eliminated, lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Member
    I'm not living in "years ago." haha. I'm buying batteries today.

I only buy AGMs for my boats. They all come with studs. Also, I would not use nylock nuts on a battery connection. Lock washers and regular nuts are the way to go. In the rare chance that the battery connection heats up, that nylon in the nut can heat up and soften, loosening the connection. You will find that the top battery manufacturers include split lock washers and regular nuts with the batteries and it's for that reason. Odyssey, X2, and all the other top guys use the split washer/nut combo.

just telling you what is, not endorsing it. Use what you want to & what works.

11. Member
    One really good agm 31 ser battery is all you will need . Just buy a top brand battery and you will be good to go .

Thanks Kennedy. Bought the Duracell AGM 31, 800/1000. Met the motor requirements & enough to run my other stuff. Best battery for the price in my opinion. Lot of good batteries out there, just can't agree with some of their prices.