2014 Lowe 18 HP help

I searched forum and found several threads about stinger 18 HP porpoising but still need some help here. I just bought this boat a few days ago it’s one of the pad hull models. 115 Pro XS 2t 19 pitch 4 blade solas prop. I have been looking for 18’ boat like this for months upgrading from my 1981 fisher 16’ 25hp. Took out today crazy excited and now super disappointed. This thing porpoises like a bad ride at six flags with the slightest bit of trim. I read other threads about a bead welded to first step or wedges used but mine has neither. Does anyone have pictures of the welded bead or wedges on pad hull? Where can I get these wedges or should I put smart tabs on it? I was able to get it up maybe quarter trim WOT once with just right amount of luck, chop, white knuckles and one of my kids laying on front deck. It went 47mph but was sketchy. I have been wanting a boat like this for 15 years and now feel totally let down. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mitchell, I will do my best with helping you as my dad has this same Hull but motor is the standard 115 4S. I’ve put the 110hrs on his boat and have never noticed trim tabs on the hull. I usually trim his up to the first mark on the gauge and let the boat run. It will porpoise if the speed drops down into the 30s but is corrected buy trimming down. The prop he is running is a 3 blade 19p unsure of the name of the prop. I usually run it hard as it will run, we see around 45 to 47.
    Garmin Stiker 7sv and 7cv
    2017 Crestliner VT17 - Mercury 60 4S

3. Member
    Owned that exact hull and got some wedges from Lowe. Just call Customer Service and they'll send you a pair. Have them welded to the second step. Also, have your motor set to the 2nd hole. I also got a 19" Spitfire SS X7 prop, which really helped the stability and turns. Some will recommend a jack plate, but I only gained 2mph together with a very hard to drive result.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

4. Member
    Ok update. Found pictures on another forum. I used some quick steel aqua to make temporary beads like the welded ones I saw pictures of. I made them bigger than I thought they should be thinking I could adjust them by sanding them down. First trip out no porpoiseing but it plowed front down to much when trimming up would blow out prop best run hull only lifted to somewhere near front deck. Went home knew I was on right track sanded about 3/4 of epoxy off leaving maybe 1/4. Went back out and oh man like a new boat. Jumps up on plane no proposing when trimming up and no prop blow out. Hull lifted great to somewhere behind seat and can trim up to half way mark. Once it’s up planed out it just frees up and goes. Only prob now is it hits rev limiter at 47mph with throttle so spare so I guess I need more prop. Running 4 blade solas 12.5x19 pitch. Has anyone used 21 pitch spitfire? Or would 19 spitfire or spitfire x7 with the cupping they have be right? Thanks

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell205 View Post
    Ok update. Found pictures on another forum. I used some quick steel aqua to make temporary beads like the welded ones I saw pictures of. I made them bigger than I thought they should be thinking I could adjust them by sanding them down. First trip out no porpoiseing but it plowed front down to much when trimming up would blow out prop best run hull only lifted to somewhere near front deck. Went home knew I was on right track sanded about 3/4 of epoxy off leaving maybe 1/4. Went back out and oh man like a new boat. Jumps up on plane no proposing when trimming up and no prop blow out. Hull lifted great to somewhere behind seat and can trim up to half way mark. Once it’s up planed out it just frees up and goes. Only prob now is it hits rev limiter at 47mph with throttle so spare so I guess I need more prop. Running 4 blade solas 12.5x19 pitch. Has anyone used 21 pitch spitfire? Or would 19 spitfire or spitfire x7 with the cupping they have be right? Thanks
    I can't help you with the prop but great to read that you succeeded in curing the porpoising. Would a Laser II also be an option for this motor and hull?
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

6. Member
    Not sure about the laser 2 prop I haven’t really researched props yet

7. Member
    I would think the Laser 2 would be THE prop for this boat.

8. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I would really like if you put some photos up of what you did that stopped your porpoising issue! My boat porpoises really bad when I’m tournament loaded. I will raise the motor someday but I’d still really appreciate some pics of what you did!!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    I would really like if you put some photos up of what you did that stopped your porpoising issue! My boat porpoises really bad when I’m tournament loaded. I will raise the motor someday but I’d still really appreciate some pics of what you did!!
    I’m at work today but will post pictures tomorrow

Nice fix Mitchell. Glad to here the boat is running great with good bow lift. Do you fish the coosa river much or are you north AL?

11. Member
    Tried a 21 Spitfire and couldn't turn 5000. Awful. 19" would correct. If you're hitting the limiter with a 19" Solas, a 21 or 22" Laser might be the ticket. My 2014 came with a 22, but it would only turn 5200 and I ended up with a 20", turning 5600.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wil Holmes View Post
    Nice fix Mitchell. Glad to here the boat is running great with good bow lift. Do you fish the coosa river much or are you north AL?
    I fish coosa a lot Lay and Mitchell
    Last edited by Mitchell205; 09-25-2018 at 04:26 PM.

13. Member
    I’m trying to put the pictures on here but it keeps saying the size is too big. Trying to figure it out

14. Member

15. Member
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. Member
    So that’s the tab/beads I made. They are on first step left and right of pad bottom

They look like they were meant to be there.

I am logan a lot of the time and we will come down to fish lay. As well I’m in a club so we fish all over the state with them.

18. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Wow, they do look like they belong, and that’s an epoxy? Very cool job you did! How much total “tab” do you think you have left after trimming? 3/8ths of an inch? Very impressive!

As for pics, I take my pictures with the Camera +2 app, that way they will show up the right orientation, then I use PhotoShrinker app to make them smaller. These 2 apps were suggested by another member on here (Bill Reynolds) and they work very well.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

19. Member
    Thanks .....Yes probably 1/4-3/8 left.... epoxy is quick steel aqua off white color they sell it at advanced auto parts.

20. Member
    Nice job!