Thread: push mowers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I have a cheap commercial grade cub cadet 36 inch walk behind . Love it. I have to mow lots of hills. I was killing myself and belts with 400 24 and 26 inch self propelled. Mine is not the 33inch version sold at Home Depot. Much better built
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

2. Member
    Buy a four stroke, two strokes are a PIA and don't last nearly as long.

toro personal pace
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

4. Member
    These newer mowers are heavier than the older ones. Pushing them without self propelled is a lot harder than it used to be.

5. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    I had a mower with a Honda and it sucked. Pain to get started. By something with a Briggs
    My mom had a push mower with a Briggs on it behind her house in a lean to for 5 years it never moved. I put fresh gas and oil in it and 2 pulls and it fired up. That was early summer i have used off an on all summer it’s been great.

6. idbefishing
    I have a self propelled Husquvarna with a 4 stroke Honda motor, no prime,no choke, 1 easy pull,every time. I can finish mowing lot faster and sweat much less with this mower versus my old mower.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bill.s View Post
    Buy a four stroke, two strokes are a PIA and don't last nearly as long.
    No sure about that my lawnboy is 24 years old and never even put a spark plug in it.

have 2 KDX 200’s one is an 01 other an 03

My Yamaha 200 is a 1993

8. Member
    I just went to a Toro timemaster 30 this year. I can't ask for anything more from a "push" mower.

I bought one with a Honda about 3 or 4 years ago and it is the best mower engine I have had. I keep it under the house and it starts right up first or second pull every springs. It is also very quiet. It does seem to require an air filter cleaning a little more often but I think most of that is just my yard. The Bermuda clippings turn to dust. Now that i think about it my old mower required a lot of filter cleaning as well.

Short story is if I have to buy another push mower it will be a Honda.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

10. Banned
    I bought a push mower for my rentals, sometimes when someone moves out you gotta mow a few times before you get a new tenant. I went to Lowes and bought the cheapest they had, its a Bolens with a briggs. Mower starts on the first pull, has some sorta auto choke. I have been happy with it and for the price you can't beat it.

11. Member
    I have had a small Toro self propelled for a while now. Good mower. Will look at them again.

12. Member
    Honda

Ag
    I am the real Scubby McScruberson!

13. Member
    I used to go through a cheapo mower from the local big box home improvement store every 2 or 3 years. Never had much luck with B & S motors. Bought a Honda 12 years ago and like those above- starts on the first pull every time except the first mowing of the year and then it takes 2.

gave it it’s first tune up a couple months ago when I noticed the filter was dirty and realized I’ve done nothing but abuse it.

14. Banned
    I have a 30 year old SNAPPER push mower.
    Self propelled 5 speed, rear wheel drive with a differential. B&S motor.
    Came with a 3.5 hp; I replaced it with a 4.5 after 15 years when the head bolts started backing off.
    Replaced one drive belt and the two rear wheels in 30 years
    I mowed an acre with it for it's first 15 years, then bought a ride-on and use the Snapper just for trimming now.
    Extremely good working propulsion system.
    Needless to say, I recommend Snapper.
    My neighbor had a Honda for years; it worked like a Honda.

15. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Bought a Husq and a Honda this summer. Both self propelled.The Husq was a POS that I had more issues with than I want to get into on here. The Honda is better than it was in every way but then again it was over $250 more.

I prefer a Briggs engine ti support Americans but the acutual mower is much better with the honda and they only come with Honda engines. I am sure there are better mowers on the market if you go to a power equipment place and spend your money on commercial grade but for a big box store I recommend Honda.
    This is my experience with the Husq. I bought one about 12 yrs ago, thought the big wheels in the back were cool. It's been a POS since. It works, but at the start I had the issue with the carburetor that needed to be fixed. The wheels have broken once. Kohler engine works ok. I had thought up until buying this that they were the best. Not so. My lawn fanatical neighbor seems to really like his Lawn Boy. If I was to buy again I would look at the Honda. When I bought the Husq I was close to buying a Snapper.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

16. Member
    husky with a honda great buy now end of season have a honda on the compressor on my service truck *(zero)* issues out of either for years

17. Member
    Two Toro self propelled mowers, the self propel sucks but the engines are strong.

Another vote for Honda. Bought one for my mom 9 years ago and it runs like a top. Zero issues with it.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    Two Toro self propelled mowers, the self propel sucks but the engines are strong.
    if you are like 70 with a flat yard self propelled makes sense. As I posted previously, I was trying to use them for a flat front yard and .25 acre back yard on a hill. worthless. To slow in the front, could not handle the hills or tall grass in the back. I ate belts. Really need to pick the right style of mower for the job
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

20. Member
    My Honda self propel system is hardly noticeable if you are using it as a straight push mower. I have to mow my back yard with it since we moved with the way the yard is laid out. I'm not even sure how old that mower is? I know it's at least 15 years old.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast