Thread: BPS suing

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    But it would be separate from my normal pay correct ???
    I assume that your normal pay would stop when you are terminated. But, any money paid as part of the non-compete contract would kick-in at that point. I suspect that you would be paid the non-compete money in segments over time, rather than a lump sum.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

2. Member
    I've signed a few over the years. I have never signed one for less than $10,000.00. I have also refused to sign with out additional compensation. (Better be prepared o walk) I signed one particular non compete for $10,000 up front and a $10,000 annual raise. I kept the job for 10 years. That's $110,000.00 in additional compensation in my book. I am currently under a non compete from a previous employer that prohibits me from working in the same capacity for any vendor or customer of the previous companies. It is for 2 yrs from date of separation and covers an area of a 150 mile radius of any office the company has. (144 offices in 39 states).

Those that state they are not enforceable in many states are correct but, you better make sure that there is not an Non-Solicitation clause in it if there are customers involved.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    If a company makes a lot of downstream employees sign non competes, they know their retention rate is low. Their retention rate is probably low for a reason.
    Yes,a high percentage of these companies have high employee turnover rates for whatever the reason might be.I know a couple of cdl truck drivers and a outside sales person that signed non competes,never got a dime more for signing them.The piece of shi- district manager had them job scared to death if they didn't sign.A total piece of shi- company to keep a guy like this.
    keep working,your neighbor thanks you

4. Member
    They may not be enforceable but you certaiinly need to defend yourself. That alone could put you in the poorhouse unless you are an attorney. Most legal firms won’t take the case without upfront money. Your ability to pay will certainly be a factor. If you signed it,honor it. Best advice is not to sign w/o compensation.

5. Member
    The latest twist ... non-solicitation and non-disclosure. Can't solicit any employee, vendor, client, prospect, etc.
    Unfortunately, these types of agreements are a lot more enforceable. They allow you to be employed, but well neutered.
    And as Casslaw noted, they are a full blown 'poison pill' to discourage anyone from hiring you while in place.
    Most professional positions out there now ask if you have any agreements in place, they don't want to deal with it.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    The latest twist ... non-solicitation and non-disclosure. Can't solicit any employee, vendor, client, prospect, etc.
    Unfortunately, these types of agreements are a lot more enforceable. They allow you to be employed, but well neutered.
    And as Casslaw noted, they are a full blown 'poison pill' to discourage anyone from hiring you while in place.
    Most professional positions out there now ask if you have any agreements in place, they don't want to deal with it.
    Welcome back been missing your insight and posts.
    John the Garage Doorman

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123