Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

What to throw, when the shad/bait are small?

Went fishing on monday. I know I was around them cuz I was marking them....and I was around the bait! I was not only seeing shad balls....but I was seeing them busting, and schooling right on the rock banks!

Im a reaction bait guy....and I threw everything at them. different types of cranks, chatterbait, spinnerbait, swim jig....and nothing.

The bait fish I was able to visually see was small, not sure if minnows or if they were small threadfin (backs had a blueish back to them, and we only have threadfin and gizzard as forage fish)...but they were small. I was able to get into the white bass, and they were inhaling the small crankbaits (squarebill and 3xd)...but I couldnt get the largies to bite. I also tried a weighted t-rigged craw and swimbait in green pumpkin....and nothing.

Im thinking I shouldve tried a dropshot swimbait, or something on a dropshot. Im barely forcing myself to finesse and fish soft plastics...so I dont think I have that instinct of when to throw them like I do with some of the reaction baits I like to throw.

2. Member
    Throw a Mann’s Little George, always works on schooling fish and I pretty much keep one tied on through first of year.

Spy bait. It catches them
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

H&H spinnerbait

5. Banned
    10Xd on 30lb mono

Damiki Vault 1/2 oz. The most versatile bait for the conditions you describe. First it is compact, small and very closely matches small shad. You can cast it long range to reach breaking fish. Super high vibration action. And you can cast and retrieve it like any lipless crank then drop it down vertically and jig it when you mark bait under the boat.

7. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GZ ONE View Post
    10Xd on 30lb mono
    Or this...

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

8. Member
    2.8" Keitech Swing Impact Fat on a 3/16 oz head, I've had much better luck with this set up on schooling fish than any other bait....and I'm a diehard Damiki Vault fan

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    Damiki Vault 1/2 oz. The most versatile bait for the conditions you describe. First it is compact, small and very closely matches small shad. You can cast it long range to reach breaking fish. Super high vibration action. And you can cast and retrieve it like any lipless crank then drop it down vertically and jig it when you mark bait under the boat.

Yes... Blade baits are under rated and under used.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

10. Member
    Keitech 2.8 in sight flash or sexy shad if they don’t eat it on a straight retrieve jig it like a grub
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

11. Member

A small roostertail also works great
    Stroker DC21 Mercury 250 XB

3" Megabass Hazedong Shad on a small jig head.

14. Member
    Silver Buddy.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

15. Member
    my secret weapon when they're being stingy like that.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

16. Member
    I take a 4" Zoom Dead Ringer, cut off 1-1.5", and put it on a 1/8 oz. jig head, when I see small bait fish. I have caught many over 5# doing this.

17. Member
    Rapala Shadrap SR5 in shad color.

18. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    3" Megabass Hazedong Shad on a small jig head.
    I was gonna say the spark shad. I use that little dude a lot lately around balls of bait and when they are busting shad. It catches them good

If you want to cast and grind I would throw something on a jighead. The Impact/Fat Impact are good but I prefer to throw a curly tail grub because they just catch more fish for me. I throw them on a spinning rod with a slower gear ratio reel so I am able to keep the bait in the strike zone longer. The Bandit 100-300 series of crankbaits are good as well, especially in any wind/current. Roostertails or micro-spinners are a last ditch effort.

If you want to slow down, hard to beat a drop shot most days. Dont complicate things either, Zoom Tiny Fluke, or a any other small profile plasfic. Weightless plastics are good too in shallow water. Nose hook a Zoom Tiny Fluke and dont over work it. Sometimes dead sticking is key.

20. Member
    Call me crazy but in mid-late fall on highland KY reservoirs I am armed always with a 1/8 ounce white rooster tail. It works wonders. Sounds crazy I know but I’ve had some awesome days catching big spots around points and docks when they wouldn’t hit anything else!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast