Battery jumpstart switch

Is the off/ charge position supposed to turn off the trolling motor batteries as well? I just discovered my trolling motor will still run if I have the switch off thanks to my son playing around in the boat. I checked my cranking battery was definitely off since the ignition would not come on. I always assumed the trolling batteries would be turned off as well. I just had a solix 15 put in and I hope they didn’t wire something back wrong. Too dark even for a flashlight right now but it’s earing at me. Thanks in advance

2. Member
    Sorry to ask this, but is your T/M 24 volt? If it's 36 I could understand your concern but if not, your master switch should only disconnect your motor and accessories.

It won`t turn off the trolling motor,it will just shut off main engine power and whatever else is wired through it.Should be a separate breaker for trolling motor.
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

I little more info on the type of switch and how many positions--some of those "jump start" switches can be tricky..

5. Member
    36v trolling motor it does have its own switch but didn’t know if the master switch would turn it off. It has the off/charge, on/run, batt 2, and jump start options. It’s the one that comes with the ranger z520c

6. Member
    Well, apparently the master switch doesn't cut it off. It's safer to always disconnect it, turn the speed all the way down, and turn any other T/M switches on the motor, off. There's dangers if the foot pedal gets turned over, or something like a cover presses it especially if the T/M prop is not able to turn. When I climb over the bow of my boat I always pull the plug on my trolling motor, that prop will smack the heck out of you if you accidentally hit the foot switch. Plug it back in before launch.

7. Member
    The switch you're talking about just disconnects the cranking battery from the outboard/accessories. The switch/breaker on the port side is used to disconnect the trolling motor on a Ranger. BTW, if it is a new Ranger, make sure the battery selector switch is wired according to the diagram on the lid, otherwise you could experience electrolysis. I've seen several wired wrong.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]