Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tracker trailer bunks SUCK!!!!!

Well ,I went out to enjoy the morning and fish, only to come back and find out my bunks are rotted out! The only reason I found out is one of the local boat brokers were out taking pics and noticed it. I had to limp it on the trailer to get it home and find out the best solution for replacement. Its crazy that my trailer is a 2015 and already has rotten bunks!!! What is everyone replacing there bunks with??
    Always Ready!

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    When replace your bunks buy boards that have a minimum of knots, that is where the rot starts. You might have to go through two pallets of wood at your local Home Depot to find two decent boards but it will be worth it. Then put a couple of coats of marine varnish on the boards before you put on the carpeting and you will get years of use. Or you can spend some extra $$ and go with the synthetic bunks.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

3. Member
    I agree about screening the replacement wood carefully and then painting it to better waterproof it. However I personally don't go back with carpet. All carpet does is trap water against the wood and in my area (North Texas) this just turns into a hothouse for fungus to form and rot the wood prematurely. Wet carpet is also a great way to transport invasive species between bodies of water. I use slicks on the tops of the waterproofed bunk boards. The slicks make loading and unloading easier plus they do not trap water and everything dries out quickly. I just replaced the bunks on my 2017 Tracker as a preventative measure as I could see fungus growing through the carpet and recognized it was just a matter of time.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    When replace your bunks buy boards that have a minimum of knots, that is where the rot starts. You might have to go through two pallets of wood at your local Home Depot to find two decent boards but it will be worth it. Then put a couple of coats of marine varnish on the boards before you put on the carpeting and you will get years of use. Or you can spend some extra $$ and go with the synthetic bunks.
    Question.. by utilizing marine varnish, this would not have the same effect as treated lumber, where it can effect the aluminum of the boat will it?
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

Quote Originally Posted by joe3buck3 View Post
    I agree about screening the replacement wood carefully and then painting it to better waterproof it. However I personally don't go back with carpet. All carpet does is trap water against the wood and in my area (North Texas) this just turns into a hothouse for fungus to form and rot the wood prematurely. Wet carpet is also a great way to transport invasive species between bodies of water. I use slicks on the tops of the waterproofed bunk boards. The slicks make loading and unloading easier plus they do not trap water and everything dries out quickly. I just replaced the bunks on my 2017 Tracker as a preventative measure as I could see fungus growing through the carpet and recognized it was just a matter of time.
    What are these slicks you are referring to?
    Always Ready!

6. Member
    I just experienced a bunk failing me. I have it fixed to get my through fall. I think I'm going to go the HDPE route.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceG View Post
    What are these slicks you are referring to?
    Just do a Google search on 'bunk slicks' and you will get back quite a few examples. Bunk slicks are usually HDPE plastic about 1/2" thick available in several widths to fit bunks from 1.5" wide and up. They lay flat on the bunk and are easily attached with counter sunk stainless screws. They are called 'slicks' because they allow your hull to more easily slip on and off the trailer. That is the reason you always leave you winch strap attached until you actually back into the water otherwise it is possible for the boat to slip off the trailer depending on the steepness of the ramp.
    Tie Down engineering is one company that markets bunk slicks. BassPro sells the Tie Down Engineering product although it may be under a rebranded name.

I make my own custom bunk slicks using 1/2" thick Starboard HDPE plastic sheet. I just buy the square footage I am going to need and rip 3.5" wide strips of Starboard, drill and countersink holes for the stainless screws and install them on the bunks.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    Humminbird Mega360

8. Member
    Where do you purchase Starboard? Thanks.

I was always under the impression that slicks wear just for glass boats and not painted aluminum hulls. I replaced my bunks last year and wanted to use some kind of bunk slicks but was afraid of scratching the bottom of my painted aluminum hull. Not that the old girl is much to look at.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
    Where do you purchase Starboard? Thanks.
    KING Starboard is specially manufactured HDPE for marine applications. I assume it has some built in UV inhibitors. Otherwise it just looks like thick cutting board material. It is easy to machine with standard woodworking equipment (saws, routers etc). I purchase Starboard off Ebay in the exact amount I need. In my case my bunks are 108" long so the 54" x wide sheets are perfect. Here is a link to just one of the suppliers on Ebay. You also might be able to get it from a local plastic supplier in your area.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/White-King-....c100505.m3226
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Humminbird Mega360

Quote Originally Posted by edwonbass View Post
    I was always under the impression that slicks wear just for glass boats and not painted aluminum hulls. I replaced my bunks last year and wanted to use some kind of bunk slicks but was afraid of scratching the bottom of my painted aluminum hull. Not that the old girl is much to look at.
    Your not far off. The one painted hull I saw with them. Made me not want them, especially it your in a muddy water conditions. Get get dust or dirt between the slicks and the hull. It made a mess of that guys paint. Bare aluminum by all means

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

12. Member
    The best bunk material is cypress. You might have to special order it at a local lumberyard but it will be worth it.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

I replaced my bunks on my lowe w treated wood and then install bunk covers made out of some type of plastic. covers the top so no worry about tearing carpet or treated wood if you go with these be careful not to undo front till u r close to the water or pull it out I strapped
    2023 ranger 198p

Quote Originally Posted by joe3buck3 View Post
    KING Starboard is specially manufactured HDPE for marine applications. I assume it has some built in UV inhibitors. Otherwise it just looks like thick cutting board material. It is easy to machine with standard woodworking equipment (saws, routers etc). I purchase Starboard off Ebay in the exact amount I need. In my case my bunks are 108" long so the 54" x wide sheets are perfect. Here is a link to just one of the suppliers on Ebay. You also might be able to get it from a local plastic supplier in your area.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/White-King-....c100505.m3226
    Do you have any pics of your starboard installed?
    Always Ready!

15. Member
    Regular wood bunks, not treated. Capped with 3x4 PVC gutter downspouts, split down their sides. Three years running and they are starting to show the wear. Guess I'll spend another $20.00 and replace them soon.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceG View Post
    Do you have any pics of your starboard installed?
    Here are some pictures of the Starboard slicks on my previous boat. First picture is the white Starboard sheet as I purchased it, then how it was cut into strips, finally installed on the bunks. In this case I simply screwed the starboard over top of the existing carpet. Later I replaced the existing bunks with new wood which was painted with waterproof paint then screwed the starboard directly to the wood. These starboard slicks will probably out last the trailer and multiple bunks replacements as it just doesn't wear much.
    By the way Starboard comes in a multitude of colors and thicknesses. I have black on my Tracker trailer now.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Humminbird Mega360

17. Member
    "Ultimate Bunk Boards" These will be going on my trailer next.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

18. Member
    Protect your brackets first then #1 prime pt 2x4 with s/s hardware. Cap them with Gator baks. Looks great, doesn't slip, lasts a long time.
    William "Bill" Kyte
    Waldorf, MD
    2018 Shenadoah Kerr lake BFL Co-angler Champion

2020 Ranger 520L Evinrude G2 250HO

Quality boards and good marine bunk carpet are key. All the boards i have used were still like new and outlasted the carpet by far. I use doug fir boards with few knots and possible. Stainless staples and stainless lag bolts. Leave a 1” area bare wood so it can drain. Zero issues in 10 years only put 2 sets on.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edwonbass View Post
    Scratched from the bunks won't show, it's either on the trailer or under the water. Replaced my Tracker bunks after a couple of years, used the slicks and they were still good after 10 years+, it's the carpet that holds water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast