Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Zx200 with blown motor??

Well I put a piston through my block this morning and I’m debating on whether or not it’s worth getting a new block or just selling the thing as is. It’s a 2007 zx200 in decent shape has some small gashes on the bottom of the hull that should probably be fixed but aside from that it’s not in bad shape. It does have a wrap and I’ve never seen it without, but judging on the condition of the rest of the boat I bet it looks alright underneath. Any ideas of what it’s worth as is?

Time for a new a boat. 15k ish for a new 200 SHO! Best thing would be to fix the HPDI.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

3. Member
    I’m thinking get what I can out of the hull with the blown motor and buy a whole new one

Quote Originally Posted by utahskeeter View Post
    I’m thinking get what I can out of the hull with the blown motor and buy a whole new one
    So I guess you found out why your motor wasn’t getting up to speed I see! Check out Last Chance Marine in Hemet, Ca for a new Skeeter! The shop up your way is clueless. Robertson is your best bet for a Ranger. They might be able to find a Skeeter for you. I bought mine from them in 2015.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

5. Member
    I’ll have to check them out! Robertson’s has been great with helping me out so far, but a new ranger is way out of my price range. I think I’m going to try to stick with skeeter

6. Member
    trade the current boat in as they can repower it for far less than you can. as long as they are fair with you, FX it

If you're happy with the boat keep it, and out a new motor on it.... Much cheaper for an engine than a entire new boat... Run away from the hpdi for good...far far away.

New boat is what $55-$65k for a new Skeeter

New engine...$15-$18k
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

8. Member
    what is wrong w/ the HPDI?

9. Member
    I put a piston threw the block.

10. Member
    mr lawler said stay away from the hpdi. I was asking why?

11. Member
    Hpdi goes boom ALOT

Quote Originally Posted by bwp777 View Post
    mr lawler said stay away from the hpdi. I was asking why?
    You couldn't give me an hpdi... Not unless it came straight from hydro tec... And that's still a maybe...

Jonathan Hillstrand

13. Member
    every 2 stroke goes boom at some point. not convinced of the reasoning. if I could premix my fuel instead of having the oil injection, the HPDI should last a long time w/ very little maintenance. the boom probably is caused by other factors and not because of design or ?

14. Member
    every motor goes boom.

2008 HPDI 200 with close to 500 hrs and never a problem. Lack of maintence and bad gas will ruin any motor.

16. Member
    Hmm I bought mine new in 05 and always maintained it, used ring free and Amsoli Injector HP oil. Sold her in 2013 with apporx 350 Hours and all cylinders over 100 PSI. she ran like a champ and still does to this day for the 2nd owner who maintains it like I showed him.

I had 2 opti's that blew and 1 that did not. I have a 2013 Series 2 HPDI now and he has ran great "Knock on Wood"....Yes they all blow !!!
    ~ 2010 Skeeter 20i Class
    ~ Spiralite Custom Fishing Rods
    ~ MarineBassAnglers
    ~ Peregrine 250 Boat Products

Y'all are right, they all blow at some point, but walk in a mechanics shop when the hpdi was the "it" motor...well, you could bet that "it" would be laying around in a couple tables in a couple of boxes...proper maintenance had nothing to do with it... Not unless you serviced the injectors about once a month... And I ain't taking about running injector cleaner they the fuel system... Those things were notorious for letting go...
    Last edited by mrlawler1; 09-27-2018 at 11:24 PM.

Jonathan Hillstrand

18. Member
    Do you guys think it might be worth finding a block to rebuild just to get it running to help the resale value? Buying a block that’s already rebuilt is out of the question, I’d just be out too much money with what I paid for the boat two months ago, what I’ve put into it, and what I would need to put into it with a new already rebuilt block. As it sits I’m into it alittle under $17k. With a new block I’d be around $21k-$22k. But if I could rebuild a block myself it might save some money and I might atleast be able to get $18k for it? I’m just not too sure of what it’s worth in it’s condition now or even running as it has more damage than I thought when I was buying it and I was a bit too trusting of the previous owner

You can get an aftermarket block for about $5k, I think. It comes with a 1-year warranty.

My last motor was a 250 HPDI. The dealer I traded the boat to said the #1 cylinder was low on compression. So, they deducted about $5k off the trade-in of my boat. Then, they replaced the "bad" block with an aftermarket block and sold the boat. You might want to consider replacing the block and then selling your boat with the 1-year warranty.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

20. Member
    You are referring to a new Powerhead?
    ~ 2010 Skeeter 20i Class
    ~ Spiralite Custom Fishing Rods
    ~ MarineBassAnglers
    ~ Peregrine 250 Boat Products

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast