Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Sonny in Montana

rl=https://postimages.org/][/url]

2. Member
    Love watching dogs work. Beautiful pic!

3. Member
    Nothing prettier than a dog with head up winding birds.

4. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Nice! Lord, I used to live to bird hunt. Back in the 79s when there were some around to hunt and it was easy to get permission.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

5. Iowa/Wisconsin/Hunting & Gun Lodge/Stroker Moderator Wags's Avatar
    Same here Roddy, we had all kinds of birds back then.
    LeaLea

6. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    Nice! Lord, I used to live to bird hunt. Back in the 79s when there were some around to hunt and it was easy to get permission.
    And here. I was checking cameras last year and bumped a covey of quail bout had to clean my drawers! Been a long time since I've walked up a covey like that. Seen them several times from the stand, I enjoyed watching them.

Oops, ment to hit quote not edit.
    Last edited by Roddy; 09-23-2018 at 11:06 PM.

7. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfool38 View Post
    And here. I was checking cameras last year and bumped a covey of quail bout had to clean my drawers! Been a long time since I've walked up a covey like that. Seen them several times from the stand, I enjoyed watching them.

Oops.meny to.quote not.edit.
    It been years since I have even heard any. Sad.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    It been years since I have even heard any. Sad.
    I have a couple of coveys on my farm. Don’t have the heart to hunt them.

9. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    Same here Roddy, we had all kinds of birds back then.

Cut my teeth on pheasants/quail growing up in SW Iowa in the 70s/early 80s... Watched it get progressively worse.

Great photo, Chief... As already mentioned, it's a pleasure to watch good bird dogs do their thing. Hope y'all had a good trip.
    Who controls John Gill?

10. Banned
    It is like that here in NC also. You could take a limit just walking hedgerows years ago. Now even with a good dog or two, finding a covey is slim. I personally think the no trapping or limited trapping of foxes hurt the quail and rabbit population here. Throw in the coyotes thriving boom and that does not help either. A quail or rabbit has no friends in the wild.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwmgg17 View Post
    It is like that here in NC also. You could take a limit just walking hedgerows years ago. Now even with a good dog or two, finding a covey is slim. I personally think the no trapping or limited trapping of foxes hurt the quail and rabbit population here. Throw in the coyotes thriving boom and that does not help either. A quail or rabbit has no friends in the wild.
    Can't help but think you're on the right track. In my opinion there are other furbearers (racoons and skunks) that are thriving who also have a negative impact on quail. When I was a youngster half the kids I knew had coon dogs and looked forward to making a few bucks off the pelts. I don't think as many kids are into that sort of thing today. In my area, in the 60's and even into the 70's there was still a lot of farms pastured with native grasses and fence rows grown up and 15 feet wide. Those same places today have nothing but fescue and a barbwire fence. Places are all slicked up and look nice from the road but sure don't hold any quail.

Edit: BTW Chief, I admire the fact you are willing to travel to put those dogs in birds. A few of my buddies still do as well.
    Last edited by SSComanche; 09-25-2018 at 07:38 AM.

12. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SSComanche View Post
    Can't help but think you're on the right track. In my opinion there are other furbearers (racoons and skunks) that are thriving who also have a negative impact on quail. When I was a youngster half the kids I knew had coon dogs and looked forward to making a few bucks off the pelts. I don't think as many kids are into that sort of thing today. In my area, in the 60's and even into the 70's there was still a lot of farms pastured with native grasses and fence rows grown up and 15 feet wide. Those same places today have nothing but fescue and a barbwire fence. Places are all slicked up and look nice from the road but sure don't hold any quail.

Edit: BTW Chief, I admire the fact you are willing to travel to put those dogs in birds. A few of my buddies still do as well.

Plenty of contributing factors, but your statement (highlighted) above is far and away the number one reason for the decline in upland game bird populations over the past few decades... a severe lack of quality habitat.

"Build it and they will come"
    Who controls John Gill?

13. Member
    Yep way more contributing factors. A friend of mine watched a flock of those damn white egrets pick off a whole covey of chicks. I can think of plenty more reasons too but prefer not to discuss them because it only raises my blood pressure or someone else's that I may offend.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    Cut my teeth on pheasants/quail growing up in SW Iowa in the 70s/early 80s... Watched it get progressively worse.

Great photo, Chief... As already mentioned, it's a pleasure to watch good bird dogs do their thing. Hope y'all had a good trip.
    Spent lots of time in those Iowa Fields also. My grandfather was a professional dog trainer out of Belle Plaine. We always has great dogs to work behind. This little Springer in the picture had more birds killed over her head than I could count. We called her short tail the "red light" and when it was on you could count on a bird.
    Talked to some fellas down that way a fews years ago...said that we had the best years...not so much any more.
    Gramps, Dad, and Brother have all passed now. No one to share those memories with....so you guys will have to do.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by WisconsinF; 09-25-2018 at 01:57 PM.

15. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinF View Post
    Spent lots of time in those Iowa Fields also. My grandfather was a professional dog trainer out of Belle Plaine. We always has great dogs to work behind. This little Springer in the picture had more birds killed over her head than I could count. We called her short tail the "red light" and when it was on you could count on a bird.
    Talked to some fellas down that way a fews years ago...said that we had the best years...not so much any more.
    Gramps, Dad, and Brother have all passed now. No one to share those memories with....so you guys will have to do.

Those are awesome photos (I have a bunch, similar, that I really need to get scanned onto disks as backup)... Brings back a lot of memories.

Thanks for sharing them.
    Who controls John Gill?

16. Member
    Late to the party on this thread, but here in Central LA, it is the same way. We used to hunt them when I was a kid and it was no problem finding a few coveys. But how much, if any, effect do you think the burning that many timber companies practice have on quail? When our quail started disappearing, I heard that burning was one of the reasons. Just wondering. If I missed someone already mentioning this, I apologize.

17. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by preacher ed View Post
    Late to the party on this thread, but here in Central LA, it is the same way. We used to hunt them when I was a kid and it was no problem finding a few coveys. But how much, if any, effect do you think the burning that many timber companies practice have on quail? When our quail started disappearing, I heard that burning was one of the reasons. Just wondering. If I missed someone already mentioning this, I apologize.
    The study done by the university of Georgia that I read one time said Racoons and fescue. One study of two identical 640 acre areas one the racoons where removed as much as possible the other wasn't trapped. No hunting. The one that they trapped the quail population expanded. The one they did not trap the population decreased.
    I used to take up to 200 racoons a year back in the 70s early 80s. The decline in quail corresponds with the decline in trapping pretty well.
    Last edited by Roddy; 09-30-2018 at 01:37 PM.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

18. Member
    Nice picture..

Ruffed Grouse are making a nice come back up North.... I have been flushing groups like crazy out Deer scouting and hiking.....I guess the UP is going really good but haven't been up there much lately...
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

19. Member
    Thanks, Roddy. That would have been close to when the hides took a big drop. I used to hunt the coons with a couple of dogs I had and we stopped selling them. But we did keep on eating'em...lol.

20. Banned
    Remember going rabbit hunting with dad and his brothers in the 60's and they all carried 410's and we would take all we needed without a dog of any kind. Just walking hedgerows and stomping those briar/vine thickets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast