Thread: HYDROFOILS?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post
    "Had a foil and it slowed my boat down and made it less Nimble " ?...………..CB foil , or a Walmart foil ?

"As soon as I took it off , I was happily surprised at how much faster I got on plane " Was it on your boat when you bought it, or did you add it after owning the boat ?

My buddy bought a boat a few months ago with a CB foil already on it, we tested various props and then started changing the jackplate. His boat is better with a deeper prop to pad than most here and the foil was hitting the water at WOT. He took it off and gained 1.5mph, so yes sometimes they do indeed slow down certain models of boats. Many of the Champion boat guys that have tried them have had this same issue. On his boat, it didn’t add anything to the holeshot.

I didn't like the thing because I cut my hand on the edge while changing props, the edges are way too sharp.

2. Member
    Have a sport marine SE on my multi species boat. Looked at the bailey foil but didn’t want to drill and about 3x the cost.

No speed loss, stay on plane at lower speeds and helps with hole shot at the high lakes around here.

3. Member
    Simply designed for slower and under powered boats by increasing lift that the hull or motor cant produce. They increase driving conditions at lower speeds and do improve hole shot.
    Phil 4:19 2018 Nitro Z19, 200Pro Xs, Lowrance, Minnkota

Just got one (CB Foil) on my V20. Works and looks great!
    2015 Legend V20
    250 ProXS
    Lowrance HDSLIVE 12s/16
    BBC Member since 2003

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    My buddy bought a boat a few months ago with a CB foil already on it, we tested various props and then started changing the jackplate. His boat is better with a deeper prop to pad than most here and the foil was hitting the water at WOT. He took it off and gained 1.5mph, so yes sometimes they do indeed slow down certain models of boats. Many of the Champion boat guys that have tried them have had this same issue. On his boat, it didn’t add anything to the holeshot.

I didn't like the thing because I cut my hand on the edge while changing props, the edges are way too sharp.
    If the foil is out of the water while on pad …………………………………………..how did it slow it down ? weight of the foil (1/2 pound) ? Maybe his champion never actually got on pad ? Maybe he lost some weight ? if a object is out of water, how can realistically affect speed of a bass boat ?

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post
    If the foil is out of the water while on pad …………………………………………..how did it slow it down ? weight of the foil (1/2 pound) ? Maybe his champion never actually got on pad ? Maybe he lost some weight ? if a object is out of water, how can realistically affect speed of a bass boat ?
    The foil wasn’t out of the water, it was splitting the water (yes I looked) There’s actually been several guys in the champ boards that have had the same situation. Might be something with their deep v design, I’m not sure; but I do know what we tested and the results.

I have no care either way about his foil, most say it works great; but I’m just saying that it doesnt
    work great on all hulls. I have nothing against him or his product, it’s actually pretty sharp looking and the man does an awesome job building them.
    Last edited by grout-scout; 10-03-2018 at 09:04 PM.

7. Member
    I have a CB Foil on my Ranger Z21. It's improved my hole shot and allowed me to tow my kids on a tube at speeds less than 20mph while on plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Teadow1972 View Post
    Simply designed for slower and under powered boats by increasing lift that the hull or motor cant produce. They increase driving conditions at lower speeds and do improve hole shot.
    Just for the record The CB foil is built by a gentleman who has a boat capable of running triple digit numbers.. most of his sales are to those of us who have true High performance boats. It allows you to turn a prop with pitch in excess of 30 and still have a decent hole shot while running tall gears.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Just for the record The CB foil is built by a gentleman who has a boat capable of running triple digit numbers.. most of his sales are to those of us who have true High performance boats. It allows you to turn a prop with pitch in excess of 30 and still have a decent hole shot while running tall gears.
    Well said!

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

I tell you another thing I find. With the foil, when you get out of the power and the boat comes off plane, it coasts along a bit as it settles down. It does not feel like it just fell off a cliff backwards when the transom sinks off of plane. I guess you could say the a boat both planes and comes off plane a little more "gracefully" with the foil, not sticking the bow so high in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by A7T3C View Post
    Running a Chris Bailey Custom Hydrofoil - not a gimmick, worth every penny to me. Was having hole shot issues when i purchased my latest boat. Improved hole shot and allows me to stay on plane at lower speeds much easier.
    ill be ordering a CB foil as soon as I get past drilling holes in my Cavitation plate......
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

12. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    My motor was 6 weeks old and had about 10 hours on it when I drilled four holes in the cavation plate...no big deal because I knew what I was going to gain because I had a boat years prior with a foil.

Quote Originally Posted by GEEBASS2000 View Post
    Any of you guys running a Hydrofoil? If so do they help with hole shot or is it kind of a gimmick?
    Haven't read all the posts up to this point but, here is my opinion and experience with them. I have only ran the Allison style foil which is the same design CB marine uses. The Allison style foil is in my opinion the only way to go if you are going to run a hydrofoil. The Allison style foil is a fwd design that allows the spray off the blades to exit without hitting the bottom of the hydrofoil and raining back down on the prop and creating more drag on the blades. The first was one I bought came from Allison and I had it on a 2.5 liter 200. It improved hole shot and low speed planning dramatically. It was made of Aluminum and did flex some. I have since purchased one from CB Marine in Stainless Steel for the 3.0 liter I currently run. Looking at the pictures of CB Marine foils they look to be top notch Foil. If you want one made of Stainless Steel I think he is the only one making them from Stainless. Don't think you can go wrong with a foil from CB Marine. If you were a buyer I would say talk to him.

^^ EXACTLEY^^

I will add -- My first was also an Allison that I sold with my previous boat. My second was an Aluminum CB plate that broke.. My setup puts a LOT of strain on one.. and I do a lot of slow speed graphing..I now have the SS model.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GEEBASS2000 View Post
    DID any of you guys lose top end speed with foil?
    No! It is out of the water at speeds that are actually on plane. Chris Bailey's are good looking and functional.

Hydrofoil? Wedge? Rework Prop? Other?

I had a 2005 Skeeter SL210 fish and ski with a Yamaha 200 OX66. Boat ran good, never porpoised.

I just bought a 2006 Skeeter SL210 fish and ski with a Yamaha 200 HPDI. Same hull on both boats, only difference is motors and props, both motors mounted on the transom second hole from the top. The 2005 had a 25M prop.

I tried the 23M and 25ti props on the 2006 SL210 which didn’t help. I added two 50lb dumbbells in the front lockers which helped a little, but not enough to keep them in the boat lockers.

Boat runs great at 40+ when the water conditions are right (weekdays) , but it’s hard to run that speed on weekends on Lake Lanier with the boats running around making huge waves all day. Running the boat at 30 with the motor all the way down doesn’t help.

So my question is, which would be the best to eliminate porposing, allow me to pull skiers and tubers under 30mph without porposing?

17. Member
    The bailey hydrofoil. I plan on getting one for the same reason. Dont wanna pull my kids at 60mph. Lol

18. Member
    I have a 2010 Stratos 486SF and was having the same problem. I installed a Bailey foil and it made a world of difference at low speeds.
    Now I can pull skiers and tubers at slow speeds much better, no blowing out in corners pulling them and improved my hole shot as well.
    I'm very happy with mine.

19. Member
    Same love mine

20. Member
    I just ordered one a week or so ago, should be showing up soon, P2/200 Opti. I got it to hopefully improve my ability to stay on plane at lower speeds. My holeshot is great as I often run a Hi5 so I don't know if I'll see any difference there. I fish a lake that has a 15mph speed limit before sunrise and after dusk. Right now I'm at 18 and yes I've been stopped. Hoping I can bridge that gap.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast