Thread: HYDROFOILS?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    You have to go with the one that your drill into your motor otherwise it will fall right off those plastic clips are crap

2. Member
    Ordered one this week. Hopin to try it out before season is over.

Quote Originally Posted by I.P. Freely View Post
    Hydrofoil? Wedge? Rework Prop? Other?

I had a 2005 Skeeter SL210 fish and ski with a Yamaha 200 OX66. Boat ran good, never porpoised.

I just bought a 2006 Skeeter SL210 fish and ski with a Yamaha 200 HPDI. Same hull on both boats, only difference is motors and props, both motors mounted on the transom second hole from the top. The 2005 had a 25M prop.

I tried the 23M and 25ti props on the 2006 SL210 which didn’t help. I added two 50lb dumbbells in the front lockers which helped a little, but not enough to keep them in the boat lockers.

Boat runs great at 40+ when the water conditions are right (weekdays) , but it’s hard to run that speed on weekends on Lake Lanier with the boats running around making huge waves all day. Running the boat at 30 with the motor all the way down doesn’t help.

So my question is, which would be the best to eliminate porposing, allow me to pull skiers and tubers under 30mph without porposing?
    Update: Ordered a CB Foil, came in last week and installed it yesterday and headed to the Lake to try it out. I can drive my boat at 22 mph staying on plain and no porposing. Since it was late in the day, I didn’t spend a lot of time on the water as I had hoped, but so far I’m happy with purchasing the foil.

4. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I'm curious but not running a jackplate and my prop to pad is 4.5" below wondering if I would have a problem like the Champions with the deep V's mine is an older Ranger 374V anyone have any experience with a CB foil on an older Ranger
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

5. Member
    Agree with creekchub on the non-drill foils - to drill or not to use, is the question.

Had a hydro-foil on a '94 R72/Johnson 115.
    I thought it helped with hole-shot - but, back then if you had asked what my
    prop to pad was, I probably would have said 'say what?'

I have always wondered, though, why cav plates were not at least somewhat bigger than they are.

Have not put one on my ProXS 115 4 str, but if I did, it would likely be a CB (they just look cool).
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainslinger1959 View Post
    If boat has correct prop and hp set in correct hole should not need one.
    like trying to put lipstick on a pig
    Agree 100%... Plus is the cavitation plate on an outboard designed for the extra stress???... Dan

If all you do is jam the throttle forward, plane off, run to a spot wide open, shut down, fish, repeat, then you have no understanding why someone would want a foil. Thus your opinion that setup is all that is needed. In your case, the way you operate, you are correct. Your only understanding of a foil is to improve hole shot. A foil can make a huge difference in boat operations in other ways that you do not use your boat for.

It can lower your on plane speed. Not everyone runs wide open everywhere. Some need slow speed and high maneuverability in places with hidden winding creek channels, flooded timber and such. Some just don't want to run wide open but don't want to have to deal with slow speed porpoise or high bow angle.

A foil can make towing tubes, skiers, etc., much easier. Allows planning with much less bow rise and flatter running without porpoise making such water sports much easier and safer from a bass boat.

It improves idle speed operation. Some have long distances they have to idle thru, or do a lot of idling watching their electronics. Many bass boats just do not idle along well because they are stern heavy and just waddle along requiring constant correcting of steering, or just a little throttle makes the bow rise and start pulling a wake. A foil can double or triple idle speed and make the boat track in a straight line requiring much less steering correction.

A foil can improve these three operating situations without effecting wide open throttle speed or handling. If you change setup other ways to improve these three issues like going to more blades, lower pitch, deeper prop to pad, those changes will effect top end speed. So for people who would like to use their boat other than just as a racing vehicle, a foil makes much better sense than changing setup.
    Last edited by Skeeterbait; 11-25-2018 at 08:40 AM.

8. Banned
    We'll just agree to disagree... If it didn't come rigged from the factory or was a factory option... Dan

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234