Thread: HYDROFOILS?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by I.P. Freely View Post
    Hydrofoil? Wedge? Rework Prop? Other?

I had a 2005 Skeeter SL210 fish and ski with a Yamaha 200 OX66. Boat ran good, never porpoised.

I just bought a 2006 Skeeter SL210 fish and ski with a Yamaha 200 HPDI. Same hull on both boats, only difference is motors and props, both motors mounted on the transom second hole from the top. The 2005 had a 25M prop.

I tried the 23M and 25ti props on the 2006 SL210 which didn’t help. I added two 50lb dumbbells in the front lockers which helped a little, but not enough to keep them in the boat lockers.

Boat runs great at 40+ when the water conditions are right (weekdays) , but it’s hard to run that speed on weekends on Lake Lanier with the boats running around making huge waves all day. Running the boat at 30 with the motor all the way down doesn’t help.

So my question is, which would be the best to eliminate porposing, allow me to pull skiers and tubers under 30mph without porposing?
    Sure any foil would help. Try the se400 foil first if you don’t want to drill into the cavitation plate.

also about a 1/3 of the price... pretty ugly though for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
    Sure any foil would help. Try the se400 foil first if you don’t want to drill into the cavitation plate.

also about a 1/3 of the price... pretty ugly though for sure.
    Thanks! I’ll do some research on all of them....and for the ones that are buying a CBailey foil, post up a review after you’ve tried it out.

3. Member
    I added a CB SS foil to my 2011 200 hp Optimax on a Legend 191. It stopped the porpoiseing at low speeds and improved the hole shot. I also pull tubes and skiers and it helps keep the boat on plane at lower speeds. With one person and a half tank of gas my top speed was 69 mph in the cooler months without the foil. This past summer with the foil the top speed was 67.7. I attribute the slight drop in top speed which is only 1.3 mph to the hot summer air. The hardest for me was getting past drilling in the cavitation plate.

4. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    Just installed 2 this week, one one a Phoenix/SHO and one on a Phoenix/ProXs, doing some comparison test next week, they also look Awesome.
    I am a dealer for CB Marine products and will be happy to help if anyone needs a foil or any other items.
    http://www.drew-tek.com/parts/product/bailey-hydrofoil/
    ran the foil 4 days this past week in a tournament, it was awesome, hole shot with livewells full is like they were empty, used to be able to cruse at 26 to 28 and stay on plane now can cruse at only 16 to 18 flat out nose down
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

5. Member
    Awesome! Definately getting one on this winter! When i got 2 full livewells mine take a bit to plane out. Otherwise it jumps right out of the hole. If it helped ya out that much, i need it. Lol

6. Member
    I'll second the foil. My new (at the time) motor was a little heavier and it sure did take away from my hole shot and porpoising at low speeds drives me nuts. It's all fixed now and it looks great.
    2000 Viper Coral 202/225 Pro Xs
    Ghost, HDS Lives, etc, etc.

7. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    info@drewcraft.com

8. Member
    Are you guys installing these foils yourselves, or having a shop do it? How hard is it to align everything when preparing to drill? Thanks.

9. Member
    I used four spring hand clamps to hold the foil in place. As I drilled each hole, I inserted a bolt to make sure the plate did not move. Worked great for me.

10. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    Love my CB Foil. Made a solid difference in both quickness on plane and ability to not porpoise at slower speeds. Worth the $$ spent.

11. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdwo2212 View Post
    Are you guys installing these foils yourselves, or having a shop do it? How hard is it to align everything when preparing to drill? Thanks.
    10 to 15 minute job but I have done a few, Chris Bailey has a video installing one, I will post the link
    info@drewcraft.com

12. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    info@drewcraft.com

13. Member
    Great video. Thanks.

14. Banned
    If boat has correct prop and hp set in correct hole should not need one.
    like trying to put lipstick on a pig

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    I recently put a foil from Chris Baily on my Mercury 115 4stroke. I chose to go with mirrored stainless and no logo's on the outer wings, keeping it clean in appearance. My installation was a bit more difficult due to I run a steering torque tab. But it still was not an issue, just a bit more time consuming. The steering tab had to be removed. Then extra care had to be taken to not just center the foil on the cav plate left and right and parallel to the center line of the cav plate, but also center the hole in the foil to the circle of the recess for the steering tab. None of that is difficult, just move and clamp and measure and be patient till you have it correct. Then I used the predrilled holes in the foil to guide my drill bit to drill the cav plate. Once you accept that your really going to drill holes in you cav plate, it is easy. I did find I needed my 90 degree drill attachment to line up the holes though. I chose to use shorter bolts and thinner locking jam nuts so I would have a little less sticking up above the cav plate. This wasn't actually necessary, I am just OCD about such things. When I reinstalled the steering tab, I had to file it down about 1/16" on the top to give a bit more clearance for it to seat in its recess properly. Again, not difficult, just added a bit of time to my installation that most won't have to deal with.

Performance has fully met expectations. I can plane nearly level and quicker, allowing better safety planning in shallow water. I also can run on plane slower making following tricky submerged creek channels that bend back on themselves much safer. Both of these are very important in the impoundments we have here.

Skeeterbait why did you need it? I have a 2018 rt 188 proxs command thrust 21 tempest solid plugs mine has almost instant hole shot.
    also cruise at very low speed . But with that said at least it doesn’t look hideous like what I was expecting.
    J D

16. Member
    SE SPORT 300 WORKS INCREDIBLY WELL- JUST PUT ON MY 19.5 SKEETER- ZERO POPOISING NOW, BOAT IS ON PLAN IN LESS THAN 2 SECONDS- BEST $59.99 EVER

Quote Originally Posted by creekchub View Post
    SE SPORT 300 WORKS INCREDIBLY WELL- JUST PUT ON MY 19.5 SKEETER- ZERO POPOISING NOW, BOAT IS ON PLAN IN LESS THAN 2 SECONDS- BEST $59.99 EVER
    Hmmmm, being $160 cheaper, I’m going to look into it. PM sent......

Quote Originally Posted by Chainslinger1959 View Post
    Skeeterbait why did you need it? I have a 2018 rt 188 proxs command thrust 21 tempest solid plugs mine has almost instant hole shot.
    also cruise at very low speed . But with that said at least it doesn’t look hideous like what I was expecting.
    J D
    The answer is partially in what you wrote. We have the same boat but you are running larger prop and lower gear ratio. My standard 115 has a different lower unit. Your larger prop and lower gear ratio slips less on hole shot. Now not to say mine is bad, but many of the places I fish I need to pop on plane with less power and need to follow narrow winding submerged creek channels on plane at minimal speed. With the foil I can plane with half throttle and little bow rise and can now stay on plane at 15-16 mph where as I needed 21 mph before. I can also cruise at half throttle and trimmed up shallow without any porpoise now. Also, when needing to travel above idle but not on plane, all boats tend to squat in the rear and raise the bow. You pull a big wake like this and the boat tends to wallow. The foil increases your ability to travel above idle by adding rear lift and allowing you to motor along at higher than idle but not dug in and pulling so much wake. Not everywhere these type of driving styles are needed. Many people just need to plane off and travel from point a to point b at the quickest rate. But those of us who sometimes fish flooded river and creek channels and backwater winding oxbows need lower speed manuverability.
    Last edited by Skeeterbait; 10-16-2018 at 08:37 AM.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by creekchub View Post
    Se400 is the same but no drilling. Helped my boat as I said earlier in the thread. Doesn’t look great but for $60-80 and no drilling it could be worth a shot for some of you.

20. Member
    I got a plastic one and put it on my 250. Performance was way better, but the first grass patch I went through, it broke it off. So wasn't on long.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast