2013 Pro XS Starting Issue

Last Sunday my 2013 Pro XS 250 (I'll add serial number ASAP) started right up. I backed off the trailer and shut it off. It started back up like normal and I idled over and picked up my partner. As we idled away from the dock the motor died and never started again. It will still not start and does exactly what it would do if the kill switch were flipped but it is not. I had assumed it was a battery issue but I just got a new battery and tested it and it still will not start. Any ideas? This motor has never not started on the first turn of the key so I am not sure how to diagnose the problem. Thanks.

2. Member
    Check your fuses under the cowel on the starboard side of the motor.

3. Member
    Does the motor spin?
    Do you hear the fuel pumps running when the key is first turned?

4. Member
    It is possible that you lost a coil. Check the fuses on the starboard side of the engine as "cash for cash" had mentioned. There is a small black plastic fuse container with wires coming out of it. If you a burned out a fuse then there is a reason. Carefully inspect the coils for discoloring, cracking, expanding and most often, white puffy material coming out of a crack.

5. Member
    Thanks so much for the help. Fuel pumps run and the motor spins but just won't start. The fuse was burnt up so I changed it. Tried to start it and it burnt the fuse again. Sounds like a coil now. Thanks again for the help.

6. Member
    Check coil harness with a DVOM.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please update with your Serial Number, and which fuse (number location or wire colors on the fuse) you have been blowing.

Coils are one of several possibilities.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Took it in Saturday and it was the coil on cylinder #1. Thanks for all the responses.