Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    48

    1042xsv/Livescope Purchase

    Hi all. I am a former Lowrance user, and I am getting ready to pull the trigger on new Garmins for my Ranger Z21 that I recently purchased. I talked to Brian at BBG Marine (who is a wealth of knowledge btw), and I am leaning towards 2 - 1042xsv units (bow and console) with GT15 and GT30 transducers via Ycable for the console and Livescope on the bow unit. I looked at the Echomap 93 plus units, which have the advantage of touch, but playing around with the display models, the 1042xsv units are larger, seem brighter, better resolution, and faster. The only drawback to me is touch vs. non-touch and a price difference which is not that significant in the big scheme of things. This is a huge purchase for me (close to $5k with mounts), and I would love to hear feedback from any aspect that would help me make this decision. I would love to hear from anyone using the 1042 units to see if touch is something that is greatly missed. I think another reason I am having hesitation to pull the trigger is that I am afraid there is going to be a new release from Garmin soon with the holidays coming up. I would probably still buy the 1042 units, but maybe the price will drop since these units have been out for a little while now. Thoughts?

    Thanks,
    Chad

  2.  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    New Boston , Texas
    Posts
    928
    #2
    Well seeing as though I just bought my 2nd 1022xsv they probably will put them on sale.

    Anyway I have a Carbon 9 that has touch and its great unit and I like the touch. I am worried,probably needlessly,that the touch screen will eventually give problems. Also don’t like getting finger prints all over the screen. Without a doubt it is faster than non touch.
    I feel for overall durability the non touch will win out. I have not got to do a whole lot with my 1022 as I’m only running a ps22 right now. Having said that with the favorites option, knob and 4 different keys to quickly access four different page layouts I am happy and feel good about my choice.

  4. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    48
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter 1 View Post
    Well seeing as though I just bought my 2nd 1022xsv they probably will put them on sale.

    Anyway I have a Carbon 9 that has touch and its great unit and I like the touch. I am worried,probably needlessly,that the touch screen will eventually give problems. Also don’t like getting finger prints all over the screen. Without a doubt it is faster than non touch.
    I feel for overall durability the non touch will win out. I have not got to do a whole lot with my 1022 as I’m only running a ps22 right now. Having said that with the favorites option, knob and 4 different keys to quickly access four different page layouts I am happy and feel good about my choice.
    Thanks for the feedback, Shooter!

  5. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Pineville, La
    Posts
    34,103
    #4
    I've had the Lowrance button and Touch units. Never had problems with neither....Touch is SO MUCH easier to operate. I gambled on the EC+ units in hopes that they will come out with a larger screens in the near future. Great units for the price and i personally dont need all the extra stuff/software that the top Garmin units come with but would be nice to have.....I'll say this and it's my opinion, i find Garmin to have more options/menus to adjust (than lowrance) on the unit therefore i find the Touch on the Garmin are easier/better to use vs. using a keypad style. Disclaimer, i'm comparing the EC+, Low Gen 2 (keypad) and Low Gen 3 (Touch) and each's menu use on MY boat. Also never had a Garmin keypad unit on boat but played with them in the store.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

    2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

  6. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    48
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    I've had the Lowrance button and Touch units. Never had problems with neither....Touch is SO MUCH easier to operate. I gambled on the EC+ units in hopes that they will come out with a larger screens in the near future. Great units for the price and i personally dont need all the extra stuff/software that the top Garmin units come with but would be nice to have.....I'll say this and it's my opinion, i find Garmin to have more options/menus to adjust (than lowrance) on the unit therefore i find the Touch on the Garmin are easier/better to use vs. using a keypad style. Disclaimer, i'm comparing the EC+, Low Gen 2 (keypad) and Low Gen 3 (Touch) and each's menu use on MY boat. Also never had a Garmin keypad unit on boat but played with them in the store.
    Thanks for the reply. It seems like the navigation "knob" works pretty well on the 1042 for navigating the menus, but I am still worried about labeling waypoints and stuff like that. That being said, I have never had a touch unit, so at least I haven't gotten used to using that and may not miss it.

  7. Member Todd Driscoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sam Rayburn
    Posts
    1,742
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddavison View Post
    Thanks for the reply. It seems like the navigation "knob" works pretty well on the 1042 for navigating the menus, but I am still worried about labeling waypoints and stuff like that. That being said, I have never had a touch unit, so at least I haven't gotten used to using that and may not miss it.
    I've had numerous non-touch units, including those with the rotary "knob" and currently have 7600 series touch units. Although the knob does make navigating menus easier with a non-touch, there is no replacing the all-around efficiency of a touch unit. For me, touch-screens are a huge plus with really no downside.
    Garmin Pro Team

  8. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    New Boston , Texas
    Posts
    928
    #7
    Fishin couillon always has good advice with experience to back it up.

    I have not tried working with waypoints with my 1022xsv yet. I also run a Carbon 9 with di and si that I used the map on and waypoint features and I really like it. I bought the 1022 mostly for the Panoptix and a bigger screen. I hate having to wear my glasses when fishing.

    Im and older fart and expect by spring I’m going to get a 18’ stick steer to make life easier. With the Carbon 9 and the 1022 both upfront I should be able to do everything I need to.

  9. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Fort Scott, Ks.
    Posts
    1,686
    #8
    I've had the 1042xsv and live scope since March and really like it on that MFD. The four favorites buttons are about all I ever use anymore and the switching with them is lightening fast. I think you will really like that set up.

    SE Kansas grass grower


    ROCK CHALK

  10. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Fontana, NC
    Posts
    3,658
    #9
    It like the touch assist on the Plus 93sv. A home run. Wish I had them on my 7610. I wouldn't have to clean the screen as often.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

  11. BBC SPONSOR
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    185
    #10
    How many waypoints do you add in a day? If you mark and manage waypoints often I would go Touch screen. For the Bow I think you will love the 1042xsv! Why not consider mixing units and go with a touch at the console where you could manage and mark waypoints faster. It is a large investment either way. I would get the setup you know you will love. My opinion would be to do a Touch series unit at the console and non touch on the bow. Look at the 1242xsv Touch for the console. This does add $1300.00 to the cost but you are getting a larger screen also. Best of luck and you will be happy with any of the GPSMAP series units. Just comes down to balancing price and performance.
    Jason Cassell
    BassBoatElectronics.com
    1-800-931-9926

  12. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    48
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by BassBoatElectronics.com View Post
    How many waypoints do you add in a day? If you mark and manage waypoints often I would go Touch screen. For the Bow I think you will love the 1042xsv! Why not consider mixing units and go with a touch at the console where you could manage and mark waypoints faster. It is a large investment either way. I would get the setup you know you will love. My opinion would be to do a Touch series unit at the console and non touch on the bow. Look at the 1242xsv Touch for the console. This does add $1300.00 to the cost but you are getting a larger screen also. Best of luck and you will be happy with any of the GPSMAP series units. Just comes down to balancing price and performance.
    You make some great points! There are times when I mark a lot of waypoints...rockpiles, brushpiles, etc, so touch would be nice. I'm going to have to seriously consider that.

  13. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    48
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddavison View Post
    You make some great points! There are times when I mark a lot of waypoints...rockpiles, brushpiles, etc, so touch would be nice. I'm going to have to seriously consider that.

    Hopefully Garmin will run a sale, so I could get a touch unit and stay in my budget!

  14. Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Mattawan, Mi
    Posts
    47
    #13
    Chad,

    I have 2-10" and 1-12" xsv units on my boat. I had a 9" echomap on my 17' tracker grizzly I use for hard to reach areas. First of all the xsv garmins are much easier to read, having both styles of garmin, the xsv models are much better. I have the 1042xsv on the bow of my boat and run my livescope through it and absolutely love it. My 12" unit is touch screen and I can't really say I like it that much more than my pushbutton units. You will love the 1042!

  15. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Florence Al
    Posts
    757
    #14
    First and foremost you need to go out with garmins and look at the imaging. Unless something has changed in the last couple of years it's not close to the lowrance units. I ran them both, side by side, for three months and kept lowrance. Now I have humminbird and it is better than both of them.

    I am running the 1242 with livescope and it's plenty good enough for that one function. There is no way I want to lose my touch units for overall daily fishing though.

  16. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    1,952
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
    First and foremost you need to go out with garmins and look at the imaging. Unless something has changed in the last couple of years it's not close to the lowrance units. I ran them both, side by side, for three months and kept lowrance. Now I have humminbird and it is better than both of them.

    I am running the 1242 with livescope and it's plenty good enough for that one function. There is no way I want to lose my touch units for overall daily fishing though.

    Have you run the UHD ducer?
    David Geske
    2012 Ranger Z521
    Mercury 250 ProXS



  17. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Florence Al
    Posts
    757
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by GetReel View Post
    Have you run the UHD ducer?
    No and don't intend to. I lost my tail last time listing to their hype. If I could try one before buying then it might be OK. Not being a guinea pig again though.

    The only reason I am trying the livescope is because of the posts by lwinchester. My installer said he was a straight shooter and so far that seems to be the truth.

    pfish

  18. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    48
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkr3nn View Post
    Chad,

    I have 2-10" and 1-12" xsv units on my boat. I had a 9" echomap on my 17' tracker grizzly I use for hard to reach areas. First of all the xsv garmins are much easier to read, having both styles of garmin, the xsv models are much better. I have the 1042xsv on the bow of my boat and run my livescope through it and absolutely love it. My 12" unit is touch screen and I can't really say I like it that much more than my pushbutton units. You will love the 1042!
    Good to hear!

Tags for this Thread