Daiwa Luvias 2500 Issue

I picked up a Luvias earlier this year as a rep demo and loved it. However it started to feel like it would tick as I reeled it if there was any kind of resistance on the end (I fish a lot of paddle tails in rivers so this is where is notice it) of the line. Also if I spin the handle really fast it makes a grinding sounds when the spool is at the very top and very bottom of the shaft. I thought maybe I had got some sand down in there so I dropped it off at Tackle Trap while I was in Alabama on vacation for a good cleaning. After getting the reel back it still has both issues going on with it. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing it? I am thinking I might be stuck sending it into Daiwa.

I also want to be very clear I am in no way holding Tackle Trap at fault. Brain was great while in the shop and very pleasant on all phone conversations.
    Last edited by PKnight; 09-21-2018 at 09:45 AM.

2. Member
    Patrick, the “tick” you describe could be in the line roller. The drive gear as well and pinion gear looked great.

As for the grinding sound when you spin the handle hard, that is where the main shaft transitions to come back the other way. There is excess play at these points to allow for that change in direction. The grind comes from the oscillating gear forcing itself back the other direction in a harsh manner, and is not good for your reel.

Feel free to send me a PM, and we can discuss it further.