New Stratos Owner Here

Hello. I recently purchased a 1996 Stratos 278 with a 1990 Johnson 175 GT, looking to upgrade to a 225 Johnson soon, hopefully. I fished back in the mid 90's and getting back into it after all this time. I live in the Kissimmee area, but work in GA, Newnan area. Looking forward to everyone's knowledge about fishing and set ups.

2. Member
    Welcome! A 278 is capable of mid-upper 60's with a 150. you must know how to drive if you're going 225! What are your numbers with the 175?

I would not over horsepower a hull that is brand new due to liability issues...I would not over horsepower a 22 year old hull for the same reason plus safety reasons.

4. Member
    I appreciate the input. Ive been driving boats for 20 years. But I will agree, it, may not be a great idea putting more hp on a 22 yr old boat, geshhh wasnt 1996 just last year, :) This is what I have and where im at with it. I think I may raise it on the jack plate just a smidgen more to try and get the rpms up 200-300 more.

1996 stratos 278
    1990 Johnson GT 175
    6" Jack plate
    3" below pad
    23 Pitch Solas Scorpion
    turns 5k and runs at 60mph gps

I think the transom could handle it but I am a natural skeptic on the liability part...you hear people talk about the possibility of having an accident with an overpowered motor/boat and getting their butt sued off. I have never had an accident on the water but as soon as I overpowered the first thing I would do is hit someone who is an ambulance chaser with a lawyer on speed dial.

You combo has excellent slip numbers. I am surprised your only turning 5000 rpm if your net speed is 60 GPS.

6. Member
    "I am surprised your only turning 5000 rpm if your net speed is 60 GPS" as am I. The tach is new and was installed by marine shop. Maybe its off a bit? Not sure I am going to try and raise it about a 1/4" and see what it does. It has zero rooster tail at full trim, so thats why i was thinking maybe just a little too low? But the boat rides awesome the engine for its age runs excellent!! Now im just ready to catch some fish, damn water temps at 90 degrees making it tough.

Anytime you raise the motor height it is very important to keep an eye on water pressure. There will come a point when you get high enough the water pressure will drop and/or the rpm will increase but you see a speed loss due to slip. Once you get near the sweet spot up/down .25" can make a big difference.

As for rooster tail I don't have a lot of faith in that method to gauge prop slip. I prefer a prop slip calculator because they are real numbers. The ol adage of a rooster tail about cowl height is what a lot of people go buy. If its taller than the cowl then your slip is high...mine has almost zero rooster tail. In perfect running conditions I can turn my 24 pitch prop to 5600 rpm and my speed 63.2 with 1.85 gears that = 8% slip which is a very good slip number. 0% is impossible...target is 8-10% and if you have 13-15% or more you need a different prop or your prop needs work.

I am not for sure what you gear ratio is...if it's what I "think" it is then one of the other numbers is off because you should not be seeing 60 mph GPS with a 23 pitch prop at 5000 rpm.
    Last edited by JR19; 09-22-2018 at 06:15 AM.

8. Member
    I am not sure what my gear ratio is. I bought the boat recently. Maybe the RPM gauge is off? I do appreciate your feedback JR19!! Ill let you know when I get it back out, what the results are. I will definitely keep an eye on the water pressure. What should I look for in regards to water pressure at or near WOT?

I am not sure about your gear ratio either. I done a quick google search and could not find it. I don't know why but 1.81 and 1.78 keep coming into my mind. I bet it is close to that number. For some reason I was thinking the the older mercury's were 1.75 and I was thinking the older Johnson/Evinrude were 1.78...I do know the E-TECH's in 150/175 HP are 1.85 a but the ne G2 E-TECH is a much lower ratio like 2.17. higher number = lower ratio. This is one of the reason the G2 is king when it comes to holeshot.

As for you water pressure. Post your engine year, horsepower and model number on the Evinrude board here at BBC and ask what minimum water pressure is for wide open throttle. You can find you engine model number on a small silver plate about 2"x2" in size. It's located on the motor mount near the trim pumps.

As an experiment with your tachometer remove the dash plate so you can access the back of the tachometer. On the back there should be a dip switch. Move it back and forth to another setting a few times then put it back in the setting it was on to start with making sure it "clicks/sets" back firmly into position. The reason for this is they will sometimes jar/move out of position and get stuck in between numbers...if you post your question about water pressure also ask about what setting the dip switch should be in.
    Last edited by JR19; 09-23-2018 at 10:45 PM.

I'm thinking the GT is still a crossflow. WOT water pressure, keep 15# or better. Pole position should be a 6 (6P). Believe the gear ration is 1.86.

As noted, check in under the Motor Forums, Evinrude/Johnson. Got about 4-6 really good guys there - ChampioNman being the bomb on knowledge.

11. Member
    Thanks JR19 and Nighmare. I will check the numbers when Im back in town, in GA working right now. You guys are a great help!!!

Eric

12. Member
    So, I was able to play with the adjustments a little bit. Not sure if my tach is working, its new and set properly. With a 22 Raker at 3" P to P I can only turn 5000 at 54 mph gps. With a 23 solas 3" P to P I can only turn 4800 at 57 gps. This is fully loaded with 2 passengers weighing 460 lbs total. Anything higher P to P I can feel the props slipping and lose speed, hole shots are great, no issues there, but I cant spin this engine up past 5000 and only 4800 with a 23P?? It runs and sounds great. Water pressure seems to run a little low too, 4lbs at idle,2600 rpms 10 lbs, WOT is about 16 lbs. Any ideas?

Its a 1990 Johnson 175 GT
    Model VJ175SLESE

Thanks
    Eric
    Last edited by Ebuck155; 10-25-2018 at 06:46 AM.

13. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Post your engine year/size and model number on the Johnson/Evinrude forum and ask what the water pressure specifications for idle and wide open throttle are. Also ask what the recommended max rpm operating range is. This way you know where they need to be. With a very heavy load your able to turn that 23 pitch to 57 GPS @ 4800 rpm. That's pretty decent but I am surprised the rpms are that low if your netting 57 GPS. This one kind of has me stumped. Maybe someone else will chime in with advise...only thing I got right now is make sure your in your correct water pressure and and engine rpm ban for max rpm.

A couple things here to check.
    1. Is boat water logged?
    2. What is the prop condition and whats it's history. Meaning just because it looks good don't mean it is.
    3. Your tach may be off. That motor should spin a 23P much faster than you want on that boat.
    4. Are you using GPS or console speedometer for your speed?
    5. It also sounds to me like your not deep enough, I wonder if you are reading PTP correctly?
    6. Have you done a compression check?
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    A couple things here to check.
    1. Is boat water logged?
    Not waterlogged, very solid
    2. What is the prop condition and whats it's history. Meaning just because it looks good don't mean it is.
    Prop could use a little work, going to send that out, previous owner nicked it up a little bit
    3. Your tach may be off. That motor should spin a 23P much faster than you want on that boat.
    Tach is new installed by tech, i checked everything looks correct and turn the dial on the back to make sure it was at "6", it is
    4. Are you using GPS or console speedometer for your speed?
    Used GPS
    5. It also sounds to me like your not deep enough, I wonder if you are reading PTP correctly?
    Followed directions, made several checks, i believe it is correct, i did drop it another 1/4" same result
    6. Have you done a compression check?
    Compression is all between 90 and 93

I did look at the butterflies and noticed they were opening about 75 degrees so i made an adjustment on the throttle arm (I believe its called) and brought them to where they are at 90 degrees now. Maybe that was the issue?

Thanks for everyone's help!!
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Ebuck155 View Post
    Compression is all between 90 and 93

I did look at the butterflies and noticed they were opening about 75 degrees so i made an adjustment on the throttle arm (I believe its called) and brought them to where they are at 90 degrees now. Maybe that was the issue?

Thanks for everyone's help!!
    Eric
    Thats good, check to make sure the clear plastic sleeve is on the roller as well. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=11790
    However, the link is for 60 degree motors and I believe yours is a 90 degree. So I don't know if it's the same with the throttle arm roller. An expert will be along shortly to shame me or pump me up.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    Thats good, check to make sure the clear plastic sleeve is on the roller as well. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=11790
    However, the link is for 60 degree motors and I believe yours is a 90 degree. So I don't know if it's the same with the throttle arm roller. An expert will be along shortly to shame me or pump me up.
    Thanks td91. Yeap the sleeve was not on there. Championman, as well as others, has been a huge help. I posted up on the Evinrude/Johnson forum and got some great advice.

Thanks again
    Eric