Opinions on power options

I purchased a optima blue top 31 and it did great for about 6 months but now it does every time I go out. Switched from lowrance to hummingbird onix. My thought is the onix draws more power than the lowrance...

origonally ths boat had a 27 series interstate on it (still have as a back up) and o hear the 31 blue top is the same as the 27. Should I just exchange and upsize the blue top? Go with a larger interstate?

Or or should I take 1 battery out and just run 3 batteries for it all? Thought please :)

2. Joe4d
    Which blue top do you have ? Light grey or dark ?

We don’t suggest spiral cell batteries as they are not heavy and batteries have life based on weight. We use a 31 AGM on Premium models with good success. And yes, the Onix pulls power, though the Lowrance does as well.

4. Member
    Make sure your charger is functioning properly. Are you starting the day with a fully charged battery voltage wise? What charger do you have?

31 is the largest size, so you can’t upsize the Optima. Lots of complaints about the newer Optimas lately. I believe they moved their manufacturing facility.

If if you really want to be trouble free, a high quality 31 AGM is the answer, like the Odyssey or Northstar/Batteries Plus X2. Be sure your charger is compatible.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

5. Member
    Don't buy an interstate, they are garbage. I'm not a fan of running 3 batteries for a 36 volt system. My boat came this way and I went to 4 batteries. Here's a bunch of good reading for you on batteries. One thing you need to double check is to make sure your charger is capable of properly charging an agm battery. This is often overlooked.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....batteries+meet

Look at the Odyssey Group 31
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    Make sure your charger is functioning properly. Are you starting the day with a fully charged battery voltage wise? What charger do you have?

31 is the largest size, so you can’t upsize the Optima. Lots of complaints about the newer Optimas lately. I believe they moved their manufacturing facility.

If if you really want to be trouble free, a high quality 31 AGM is the answer, like the Odyssey or Northstar/Batteries Plus X2. Be sure your charger is compatible.

Well i I heard you have to buy one that is manufactured within 5-6 months of purchase so it hasn’t lost any juice.

Charger is working fine. Battery is @ 100 start of the day. I don’t have a problem with it starting the boat but this past weekend when I put my piles down it shut the graphs off. It struggled to pick the poles up and after a little runnning it was fine again (for a few).

8. Member
    They should replace the Optima for you under warranty. Then you could sell it and get the Odyssey or Northstar. Don't know the year of your boat, but, if your charger is a Minn Kota PC like BCB now uses, you would be fine with either of those two batteries. Your Optima has decent cranking power at 900 cca's, but a measly 155 minutes of reserve, so your accessories are likely running it down.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Im running onix units on the factory wiring, with a big 31 series battery. The voltages they read are skewed. Get a meter and read your actual battery voltage vs what the graph reads. Onix units like to be wired directly to the battery from what I hear I have yet to wire mine up that way. Also if your running any power poles Id recommend jumping them over to one of your trolling motor batteries in a 12v configuration. You can also turn off the low voltage alarm, its lowest setting is 11 volts, but if your graphs reading 1 volt lower than the battery you'll be hearing that thing squawk all day long. Id also advise on doing any bird software updates you can get. Theres a big page on onix units on the hb page.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

I don’t have poles or 12” screens, but I have 3 graphs and 360 imaging. I bought my Duracell 31 AGM from Sams Club about 3 years ago and I’ve never run out of juice. I’m very happy with mine and would recommend it. Plus at under $200, it’s worth trying.
    1992 Gambler Intimidator with a 1998 Mariner Magnum EFI 225

11. Member
    My Walmart battery’s were better than the optimas I replaced them with. I’ve bought my last optima.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”