MG Varimax 55 running in opposite directions

I'm trying to help my son out. He purchased a used varimax 55 bow mount hand controlled trolling motor without doing much research. When I inspected it, I quickly noticed the skeg was canted to one side. Then after connecting to the battery I noticed that the prop was turning the wrong direction. Handle in the forward position, forward direction blue light ON, and prop going in reverse. If I pull out handle to reverse position, the reverse direction light will come ON, but the prop turns forward. I opened top cover to see if wires coming off the output side of the board might have been crossed , but those wires are not accessible. I opened the foot up to see if the brush plate could be installed incorrectly, but it doesn't appear that can be installed wrong either. The wires are soldered to the brush plate so they can't easily be reversed. I am at a loss as to what else I can check.

2. Member
    When the head is removed from the shaft the two motor wires connect to two terminals in the head. There is a switch that you can move from side to side that will change the direction of the motor to agree with the handle. Must loosen the allen screw to remove the head. No more parts are available for this troll motor.

3. Member
    Are you saying that I can remove the head from the shaft and there will be a switch under the board.

4. Member
    bradrodfish, thanks a million for that bit of info. Son just got home from taking the boat out so I took the Allen head screw out and sure enough there is the switch. Flipped the switch, presto works as it should. Thanks again.

5. Member