Need someone smarter than me to explain this about props....

Thought I knew props pretty well but after conversation today I am now doubting myself. So, please explain the difference between a Fury and a Tempest prop. The difference between any 24 pitch prop vs. same prop in a 25 pitch. I think I know but I'd like to hear your opinion Thanks!

Not that familiar with those two.. i believe the main difference is the barrel and the PVS system. I believe the Fury is more expensive and designed for the big block motors.
    In "theory" a 24 pitch prop will propel forward 24" per a complete revolution.. And a 25 will go an inch farther >

3. Member
    A 24" pitch prop has an average pitch of 24". None are 24" across the full blade. Variations that can affect performance are hub type, hub flare, blade diameter, blade rake, Blade shape,(think about the differences from round ear blades, cleaver styles, bullet and ET cuts, etc) trailing and pitch cupping. I've probably left out some variables. But with all these variables, you can get a lot of performance differences and characteristics from different 24" props.

4. Banned
    I don’t know much, but I know the tempest gives more bow lift than a fury will. Now why that is, I don’t know.

A Fury is harder to turn than a Tempest Plus of the same pitch, but it's not a full pitch different. A 25 Tempest will run lower RPMs than a 25 Fury but more than a 24 Fury on the same setup. My boat turns a 25 Tempest Plus right at its max RPM of 5600 for example, over-revs with a 24 Fury, and acts like a dog out of the hole with a 25 Fury.

I also know that Fury props like to be run deeper than Tempests. Maybe that's the only thing that drives them being harder to turn, but I think it's more likely that the blade shape or different cupping or whatever other feature they have that makes them run better at different depths probably also affects the RPMs. I do think that's why the Fury gives more stern lift while the Tempest Plus will give more bow lift. Some boats run better with the Tempest Plus, some better with a Fury.

The Fury 4 fits in there somewhere as well. I haven't heard a lot about it, but it sounds like they're actually a bit easier to turn than the 3 blade Fury, pitch-for-pitch.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

6. Member
    An example would be if you have a 24 pitch prop, for every rotation it would move the boat forward 24 inches

7. Member
    All props new out of the box are not true to there size just took a new 25 tempest plus out the box had it worked it was a 24 and half out the bot worked to a true 25 took a 26 fury had it checked wasn't a true 26 you got have them worked to get peak performance out of any prop

8. mikesxpress
    Fury has a longer barrel with more flare and is made from a SS alloy (vs all stainless) making it a tad lighter than a Tempest+. Both have PVS.

9. Member
    The alloy used in the fury props is softer then the old alloy and does not hold its shape as well . If you have a fury worked it will lose some shape before the tempest does

10. Member
    Thanks for the replies, all interesting and good stuff!

11. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    There is multiple variables that can effect how a prop performs. Let say you have X brand that is 3 blade 24 pitch and Y brand that is 3 blade 24 pitch. If the diameter is different, rake angle is different, hardness of the steel is different then the rpm will be different. Also vent hole size as well as the the barrel length with flare or no flare can effect hole-shot.

I am sure I left some things off the list but this is just what comes to mind first.

12. Member
    I'm glad I can just send my prop to someone who knows what they are doing.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jigman51 View Post
    I'm glad I can just send my prop to someone who knows what they are doing.
    Ain't that the truth?

14. Member
    Fury 3 is slightly smaller diameter than the Tempest. Vent system is different as well. The fury has more lift and can run higher as the tempest will possibly blow out as it has largers ears 14 5/8" I think. Both are great props but as already stated its all in each individual boat and set up. As far as pitch goes its 1"=1 full revolution of blade. Gear ratio, prop slip also will factor in. I have had great results from both, but I ended up with a 4 blade Trophy Plus 25p, I noticed great control at speeds in excess of 60mph. Hope all his and previous post help a little.
    Phil 4:19 2018 Nitro Z19, 200Pro Xs, Lowrance, Minnkota

15. Banned
    I have sent my props to Mark Crox to balance and blueprint and add some cup to my 25 Tempest pro plus. I also have his Razor 4 and a Fury 4 but I love the Tempest the best. Good hole shot and fast.