20 hr optional V8 Service

Thought I would be nice to my motor and do a 20 hr. service and Im glad I did. Drained my LU and only 13oz. of gear oil came out. Manual says its supposed to hold 17.5. That cant be good. I let it drain for over 5 hrs. so Im sure it all came out. I wonder who is responsible for putting gear oil in when new, Mercury, the boat manufacturer who rigs it or the dealer?

2. Member
    Mercury I’d think

3. Member
    Which lower unit you running ?

4. Member
    I think the Counter Rotation Gear Cases take smaller quantity of lube. I assume yours is not CR. Maybe the person who filled it was asleep that day?!?!
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

Quote Originally Posted by fuelleak View Post
    Thought I would be nice to my motor and do a 20 hr. service and Im glad I did. Drained my LU and only 13oz. of gear oil came out. Manual says its supposed to hold 17.5. That cant be good. I let it drain for over 5 hrs. so Im sure it all came out. I wonder who is responsible for putting gear oil in when new, Mercury, the boat manufacturer who rigs it or the dealer?
    How much did it take to refill it. 13oz or 17
    Thank You Leon Pugh

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    How much did it take to refill it. 13oz or 17
    Not really sure as I had a 80 to 90% full bottle of gear lube and I pumped almost the whole thing in before it started to weep out the overfill.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwebre74 View Post
    Which lower unit you running ?
    The silver Torque Master that I believe comes stock on the 250 Pro XS 4S

8. Member
    I just had dealer change mine at 14 hours, they also recommended that I come back between 20-30 and change the motor oil and filters

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fuelleak View Post
    If you would- Please take a moment to review the Forum Announcements, and provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Actual volume can and does vary on these gearcases. Always set level properly (to the vent screw).

NOTE: The DEALER that sold you the ENGINE is responsible for performing a PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection). One of the items required is verifying that the gearcase is properly filled to level (all other fluid checks are also required).
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 09-24-2018 at 03:46 PM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor