Thread: Lowrance

Lowrance

Went to Bass Pro to look for a new sonar for the front. The salesman told me most of the units would not work on trolling motor because of the size of the transducers. So, what do you run up front and how? I dont care about side imaging, but want gps and sonar. Thanks for help

2. Member
    I run a total scan transducer on my trolling motor which is one of largest ones out there. So i have no idea what he is talking about.
    2004 Ranger 521VX with 2019 Evinrude G2 250 H.O.

3. Member
    I have the Hook2 splitshot transducer on my trolling motor, its a pretty good size transducer and works fine.
    2002 BassCat Cougar

That doesn't make any sense. Especially if you dont want down or side scan.
    I just use the built in transducer in my xi5.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

Check out Rdnckynkee250.

6. Member
    Thank you, I guess all the new larger units have all the features. I can use the ultrex transducer, I just thought the units transducer would be better? I may settle on the hook 9 with just sonar and gps. I was hoping for a larger screen but I cant see paying for side scan and other features I don't want just to get larger screen. Im all set with install but thanks Jim

7. Member
    If your just looking for basic 2d I would just use the built in one. I don't know anything about the stock one in the Ultrex because I installed the total scan right off the back. I wanted the side scan and had it on my previous trolling motor so just transferred everything.
    2004 Ranger 521VX with 2019 Evinrude G2 250 H.O.

Brian He has stuff for sale, too.

9. Member
    Sorry, but that *salesman* has no freaking idea what he was talking about. You can run a 11" long transducer on the trolling motor, EVEN IF IT ALREADY HAS the built-in transducer in it. Just head over to transducersheildandsaver dot com and they'll have one that'll fit pretty much any transducer, to any trolling motor.

FWIW, I use a TotalScan ducer on my Fortrexx (with built-in transducer). Of course once you cover the built-in with a mount and another transducer then you don't use that one any more, but that certainly doesn't stop you from using whatever other one you want.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

10. Member
    i agree most any transducer should fit fine on the TM. I'd say mount the ducer the bow unit will come with. si/di can be nice on the TM
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jprovencher80 View Post
    i agree most any transducer should fit fine on the TM. I'd say mount the ducer the bow unit will come with. si/di can be nice on the TM

I agree. I'll even do side imaging to one side (L or R) with the Power Poles down, then turn the trolling motor to aim that side towards where I want to scan. Sorta' a poor mans Panoptix. LOL
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

12. Member
    just checking back, worked all weekend. I had 2 helix 7's on the boat so I made a mount this weekend and stacked the 2 at driver, one sonar and 1 GPS. I then bought the hook 7 for the front with the smaller transducer. Everything works great. Jim, I didnt know that was a full shop, will keep in mind in the future. Thanks for all the help, kinda ended up with a budget big screen which works for me!

13. BBC SPONSOR BassFishin Electronics's Avatar
    Give me a call and I can help you and answer any questions you have 781-361-5801