Sources for aluminum framing?

I have a 1978 BassTracker. I rebuilt the decks on it twelve years ago using marine plywood and a treated 2x8 along with some treated 2x2s and 2x4's.

That added quite a bit of weight. I'd like to rebuild this winter using aluminum framing studs instead of the framing lumber. Anyone know where I can get such? thanks, m

2. Member
    Check out tbnation on YouTube. You can frame with aluminum angle and tubing. Use rivets to join if you don’t have sources for welding. Don’t use green pressure treated lumber on aluminum. It contains copper and will eat away aluminum.

3. Member
    Thanks, I'll need to check it out. I was considering using something other than wood decking but hadn't thought that far yet. The 'how to' stuff will be important. thanks again, m

4. Member
    Regular pine that’s preserved properly will work for the deck. Paint it with oil based paint. If you have access to red wood that stuff is super light:

5. Member
    I buy aluminum angle from Alro Metals. Cheaper than the big stores with more selection. Instead of wood I use composite panels so it never has to be done again.

Quote Originally Posted by Canman_83 View Post
    Regular pine that’s preserved properly will work for the deck. Paint it with oil based paint. If you have access to red wood that stuff is super light:
    That solution would be FAR heavier, and would not last long compared to a composite construction (marine plywood, encapsulated in epoxy resin with a layer of fiberglass cloth) - which would last for decades, and also be far stiffer with a much thinner laminate than normal lumber.

The aluminum angle and sq. tube construction on TBNation is a really good combination of light weight, rot-free, and fairly simple construction material that is easy to work with most shop tools.

7. Member
    There's an Alro shop within a two hr drive of me so that will work. thanks! m

8. Member
    Check out Piedmont Plastics if you go with composite instead of wood.