Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

250HO G2 Issues Help Please

2018 Evirude G2 250HO on Ranger Z520L now with 50 hrs
    First week out the boat bogged and shut down in rough water with the nose up. Called dealer and was told sounded like a fuel issue.
    Dealer rec'd pushing Start 1234 start, Stop 1,2,3,4 stop 3 or 4 times (this is the code to start and shut down the boat) I understand that this pushes fuel through by restarting the pump several times.
    That took care of it and the boat ran ok again. i used fuel stabilizer and hoped that would take care of it. that was 40 hours ago. i continued to use stabilizer and have gone through many tanks of gas.
    Same problem started to redevelop. Dealer researched with evinrude and ranger and decided it was a ranger issue and changed out the wiring harness on the ranger and also changed out the fuel pump on the motor.
    I hoped it was fixed, but it is doing the same thing again. It only happens on pretty rough water.
    I've spoken with several mechanics and exhausted most recs.
    Really sorry for the long post!!
    Thoughts? Recommendations?
    Thanks so much!

2. Member
    A couple easy things to try, open the vents on the prop all the way. Ive been around a lot of rangers with G2s especially the 520L, the vents NEED to be open.

Second have the dealer check (Replace) the spark plugs, if they are fouled or missing pads then warranty will pay to replace them since its within the 5yr/500hr period. Just be aware the correct spark plugs (QC8WEPIA) are on backorder last time i checked which was about a week ago. The QC8WEPIA is an improved version of the QC8WEPI which may have originally shipped in the motor.

I know it may sounds too easy but I have had success rectifying similar issues in the past with just these 2 items.

3. Member
    Effectively, are you saying that there could be an exhaust issue?
    One of the puzzling things is that it only occurs when the boat is getting bounced around in rough water.
    That's an easy try..I'll give it a shot. Thank you!

4. Member
    Just a guess but could the rough water be causing fuel to get into you vent hose and not allowing the fuel tank to vent properly? That condition may cause the engine to starve for fuel.
    Suggestion from unqualified observer!

5. Member
    Interesting JJ... I'm at the point i'm willing to look at anything as I need to continue to "eliminate water" (troubleshoot) so to speak.
    How would a guy check to see if thats the case?
    Much appreciated!

Evinrude has been having some ignition switch issues and they have came out with a new one that really don't look any different. I wonder if that could be the case.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

7. Member
    Had similar issue with my new G2. It would stall when you hit rough water. Dealer changed ignition and fixed that problem.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoverdog View Post
    Had similar issue with my new G2. It would stall when you hit rough water. Dealer changed ignition and fixed that problem.

I would agree BUT Bait has a Ranger Z520L, no ignition switch.

9. rjw11111
    buddy had similar issue with 521 but wasnt rough water related turned out to be breather on fuel tank

10. Member
    SAME ISSUE WITH A BUDDY OF MINE, TURNED OUT TO BE CHAFFED NMEA WIRING UNDER FRONT COWL OF ENGINE, WAS ROUTED WRONG AT RIGGING

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JCAMPBELL3014 View Post
    SAME ISSUE WITH A BUDDY OF MINE, TURNED OUT TO BE CHAFFED NMEA WIRING UNDER FRONT COWL OF ENGINE, WAS ROUTED WRONG AT RIGGING
    Please turn off your cap locks prior to posting, in the www world all caps means you are screaming makes it hard to read. Thanks.

12. Member
    I DO SEEM TO TALK LOUD MYSELF
    DAVID HIGHTOWER
    CARTERSVILLE, GA.
    1998 TRITON TR-18
    EVINRUDE G2 150 HO

13. Member
    FYI- Evinrude spoke with Ranger regarding this issue. Ranger has acknowledged a problem with a faulty "pressure valve" at the gas tank and indicated that the issue causes the boat to shut down in rough water. Hopefully this is the fix.
    Thanks for your thoughts/comments guys!

14. Member
    THE WEB POLICE IS OUT IN FULL FORCE! CHAMPIONBOY ISNT SURE WHAT TO SAY TO HELP A FELLOW EVINRUDE OWNER WITH HIS ISSUE SO HE DECIDES TO PUT SOMEONE DOWN INSTEAD. POP A GERITOL AD SIMMER DOWN. Hopefully you figured it out Bait!

Turn <CAPS LOCK> off, calm down and be polite if you want to continue here.
    Last edited by SEAHORSE; 10-09-2018 at 03:47 PM.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

16. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    WTF is wrong with people wanting to come in here and have a shouting match.....Chill and ask your questions and get some answers show a$$es and get shown the door.... Git 'em Hoss!

Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    WTF is wrong with people wanting to come in here and have a shouting match.....Chill and ask your questions and get some answers show a$$es and get shown the door.... Git 'em Hoss!
    It sounds to me like he was trying to get the boot.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

18. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    THE WEB POLICE IS OUT IN FULL FORCE! CHAMPIONBOY ISNT SURE WHAT TO SAY TO HELP A FELLOW EVINRUDE OWNER WITH HIS ISSUE SO HE DECIDES TO PUT SOMEONE DOWN INSTEAD. POP A GERITOL AD SIMMER DOWN. Hopefully you figured it out Bait!
    You shouldn't drink so early in the day. There was already good advice given but a trained tech, no need for me to pipe in with the same info.
    Last edited by ChampioNman; 10-10-2018 at 06:42 AM.

19. Member
    FYI - update:
    The "pressure value" at the gas tank has been replaced. Several hours later the issue resurfaced. Boat back at Evinrude mechanic for further diagnostics.
    I'll let you know what develops next with what has turned out to be a drawn out nightmare...
    Best regards,
    Bait

What’s wrong with you people. SEAHORSE, ChampioNman and Evinrude57 donate their time to help us. We’re lucky to have them. I don’t understand the attitude.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast