Fuel Gauge G2 - 225hp

Since 2015, I have had two new G2 -225hp engines on my Ranger Z119c. The fuel gauge on both engines have never worked. You can run maybe 75 miles and it still shows 100% full. Oil gauge does work. The dealer has changed the fuel sending unit at least twice and still the same problem. As hard as they have tried, we can’t figure it out. I was hoping someone here might be able to offer some suggestions as how to fix. The fuel gauge will drop to maybe 90% after 75-100 miles, but with a 36 gal tank, we know this is not right. Without completely filling the tank each time we use it, we have no idea as to how much fuel it has.

Any Suggestions? Thanks

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Do you also have an analog fuel gauge in your boat? I have somewhat of the same deal with the G2 225 on my Z519, but not nearly to that extent. My Icon gauge may show 100% for 20 miles (which in a perfect world it wouldn’t), but then drops fairly quickly, and then levels out to what I consider a normal and fairly accurate reading. My analog gauge on the Ranger dash doesn’t follow the same pattern (although it is no more accurate than analog gauges ever were), so I keep an eye on both and “triangulate.” Other than that, I have no clue, other than to say that individual boat designs are probably prone to some strange interfaces with gauges, since the boat manufacturers shape fuel tanks any way they please, with little (apparent) regard to how that might affect a fuel reading dependent upon a floating sensor.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    Which controls (standard or premium) and which gauges (ICON Pro, ICON 3.5, or something else) are you using? Do you have a Lowrance Carbon on the boat?

Need to have a better idea of what your working with before any possible solutions can be offered.

4. Member
    Good questions. Thanks.

I have the standard gauge in the console\dash and I am almost sure it is the Icon 3.5. Humminbird 899 on console and bow. HB's are setup for just maps and locator. I understand for both the gauge and Icon get the data from the same source. someone also suggested it could be a ground not secured somewhere. Also I know the Rude software is current.

5. Member
    If your control handle is Chrome or Silver you have Premium controls, if your control handle is black you have Standard controls. Most rangers use the premium controls so im going to guess that is what you have.

The ground reference was for your fuel tank sender. The Evinrude Premium controls use a 5v reference for the fuel tank sender vs the standard 12 volts that everyone else uses. Therefore it needs its own ground meaning a pink and black wire need to run from the fuel tank sender directly to the Evinrude controls. If you shortcut it and try using the common 12v ground then you will not get a good fuel sender reading on the digital system.

If you want the most accurate fuel gauge possible the best way to get that is to empty the tank completely and do a 4 or 5 step fill fuel tank calibration at the gas station as your adding fuel.