Smartcraft gauge identification

Hi,

Can anyone help me identifying this Smartcraft gauge, if it's a Basic, Level 1 or Level 2?

I don't get any usefull hits when googleing the part numbers.

I currently use SC1000 tacho/speedo v.7 and would like to know if it's an upgrade to my existing gauges.

Optimax 225 '05 1B119112

Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks

/Martin

Askeladden 635 Freestyle
    Mercury Verado 300

2. Member
    Definitely a Mercmonitor someone else will have to decipher the part and version numbers to tell you what level. The one pictured is older than mine which is a level 2.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Production Part Numbers are not of much assistance. Information needed is displayed as the unit boots up (Version Number and/or Level Number).

Likely an older BASIC MercMonitor.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thanks Don and Phil,

Sorry for my late answer but was waiting to recieve the gauge.

I have connected it to my existing junction box and the only info I get when powering it up is "Mercury Smart Tow v4.00"
    (if at any help, the lens is made of plastic)

Does this info tell if it's a MerMonitor and what version/Level?

Last edited by prepsdk; 10-07-2018 at 03:55 PM. Reason: info about lens added
    Thanks

/Martin

Askeladden 635 Freestyle
    Mercury Verado 300

5. Member
    As mentioned earlier it is a Mercmonitor, and if I'm not mistaken, SmartTow was not offered with a Basic Mercmonitor. I believe SmartTow was only available on level II or higher Mercmonitors and also included the ECO feature. Wish I'd snapped a pic of mine while it was home for version info.

The info in your pic above should help Don confirm my foggy recollections.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    As mentioned earlier it is a Mercmonitor, and if I'm not mistaken, SmartTow was not offered with a Basic Mercmonitor. I believe SmartTow was only available on level II or higher Mercmonitors and also included the ECO feature. Wish I'd snapped a pic of mine while it was home for version info.

The info in your pic above should help Don confirm my foggy recollections.
    My level 2 had smart tow.

7. Member
    Mine does too.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prepsdk View Post
    Thanks Don,

Sorry for my late answer but was waiting to recieve the gauge.

I have connected it to my existing junction box and the only info I get when powering it up is "Mercury Smart Tow v4.00"

Does this info tell if it's as MerMonitor and what version/Level?

Version is 4.00

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Interesting combination- it should also display a "Level" on some screen.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    I'll try to remember and take pics of my start up display when at lake tomorrow.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

11. Member
    This site shows the different data levels available on the different mercmonitor smartcraft gauges. It may help you discover which one you have.httphttp://www.livorsi.com/catalo/merc_monitor.htm

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Probably not- other than the info that flashes on the screen (and a few subtle features), they all "look" the same.

Part Number from PACKAGE or Receipt, or the Level and Version Numbers that flash on the screen are the best identifiers.

13. Member
    So, not the best picture at all as I was fishing when I remembered to snap a pic. The display shows Level 2, Smart Tow, didn't notice the sun shining directly over the version info, but mine is version 5.02 or 5.04.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

14. Member
    Thanks for all your replies.

Don: the original Package or Receipt is no longer available as the gauge was pre-rigged at the dealership.

I finally got some time to hook it all up again.

There are NO versions number on the startup screen or in any of the menus. I have cycled through them all several times with no luck. Is there any "hidden" menu that I miss?
    I have even done a Master Reset, so it detects my Optimax and enables the functions that match it. But still no Level # only Version #.

I also don't have any Smart Tow menu, I guess my Optimax isn't Smart Tow compatible then?

Would the part numbers of the wiring looms that came with the gauge help identifying it?
    Last edited by prepsdk; 11-22-2018 at 03:08 PM. Reason: spelling
    Thanks

/Martin

Askeladden 635 Freestyle
    Mercury Verado 300

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prepsdk View Post
    Thanks for all your replies.

Don: the original Package or Receipt is no longer available as the gauge was pre-rigged at the dealership.

I finally got some time to hook it all up again.

There are NO versions number on the startup screen or in any of the menus. I have cycled through them all several times with no luck. Is there any "hidden" menu that I miss?
    I have even done a Master Reset, so it detects my Optimax and enables the functions that match it. But still no Level # only Version #.

I also don't have any Smart Tow menu, I guess my Optimax isn't Smart Tow compatible then?

Would the part numbers of the wiring looms that came with the gauge help identifying it?
    What year was the boat rigged? The year may help narrow down the field (versions).

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    What year was the boat rigged? The year may help narrow down the field (versions).
    Unfortunately it's not possible for me to find out, but my best guess is around 2010 due to the date on the harness.
    The gauge is produced Date: 33/08
    The harness is Mercury 8M0044046 with NMEA 2000/J1939 in/out plug, produced 05-28-2010
    Thanks

/Martin

Askeladden 635 Freestyle
    Mercury Verado 300

17. Member
    The picture you posted in #4 indicates this Mercmonitor is Level 2 and v4.0, startup display is not a menu display. Smart Tow was not available on basic or level one Mercmonitors. You may be correct that even though your Mercmonitor is Smart Tow capable your engine might not be. It's been some time since I last checked, but if I remember correctly, this only matters if you want to pull skiers/tubers and save their towing "profile" or "preferences".
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Harness "Production" numbers are of no use in this case as virtually every instrument based on the MercMonitor at that time, had the same information.

Since Smart-Tow is not a feature useful to your Optimax, what feature(s) specifically are you looking for that you are not using?