Thread: Lid struts.

Lid struts.

What's the most common length lid struts and weight size used on modern bass boat lids?
    I'm restoring my 1994 swift sdx200 and want to add the struts to my rear deck battery/tank compartment and also rod compartment. All my lids are factory aluminum with the rear being the largest.
    Also I'd like to replace the latches on all my lids with twist lock latches. Current latches only lock shut with a key.
    Thanks for any input.

You'll need to measure extended and compressed length available for each particular hatch install. 25-30 lb. will likely work on a medium sized rod locker, but that's purely a guess. You may want two on a larger bilge access hatch.

Here's an overview article that may help:
    https://www.boatingmag.com/installin...upports#page-6

3. Member
    The length depends on angle and mount point. Just curious what most bass boat manufacturer were using

4. Member
    The ones I've seen on general storage areas were what looks like 10-11 inch extended.

5. Member
    like others have said check measured and collapsed length. Most have the weight printed on the side just placed mine on my stratos. Had 63s for the rod lockers and 40s for the center storage.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by soloman View Post
    like others have said check measured and collapsed length. Most have the weight printed on the side just placed mine on my stratos. Had 63s for the rod lockers and 40s for the center storage.
    My boat is a 94 it didn't come with struts and want to add them. I guess I'll just trial and YouTube it.

7. Member
    If my memory serves me mine are 8 in long and 40 or 60 lb depending on size lid. Ordered mine from local auto parts store years ago when I replaced mine.

8. Member
    Thanks Skeeter.
    The rod box and other storage boxes aren't that big of a deal...but the stearn hatch really needs them. Probably add to 30s to it. Just have to figure out the best way to mount them.
    Lids have new carpet already. Kinda sucks trying to drill into the lid for a rivet with runing carpet...

I used these
    https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-G.../dp/B007HRSG3W

The stronger ones were ripping out the mounts, and these hold my lids on the nitro just fine.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere