2003 Mercury 50hp 2 stroke will not idle!!!

Good morning everyone,

I've just purchased a 2004 tracker pro angler V16. Engine model 1050412CN Vin#OT899685. The boat was aquired by an older man who did not have time to use the boat so the majority of its 14 year life it has sat in a pole barn. When i went to check out this boat, the engine fired right up in the driveway on muffs and idled perfect! The man mentioned the gas was "old" but he used stabilizer before he stored it. So with that being said, i took it home, drained the fuel, changed the plugs, and changed the lower unit oil. Next step was take the boat to the lake to do some fishing. I filled up with premium 93 octane at the only american gas station left around me in hopes for best fuel quality possible and used a can of seafoam. Put the boat in the water, pumped the bulb, gave it the slightest bit of throttle, and it fired up. I let it run in "high idle" for about 30 seconds and dropped down to true neutral idle... at that point the engine died and did not want to fire back up unless i force fed fuel with the throttle. after tinkering for 10 minutes or so with that, i finally got the boat off the trailer and started with a quarter throttle lap around the lake. When i noticed everything seemed to be fine, i opened it up to full throttle! She ran amazing! when i finally backed off, i popped into neutral and it idled like a dream for about 45 seconds and i shut her down! turned the boat off for about 15 minutes to fish one of my spots and decided to move when nothing was biting. attempted to fire the boat back up and it wouldn't start unless i fed it fuel with the throttle, and it would not idle again! it just idles really low and dies! Now the bulb loses a little pressure as soon as i shut the engine down and if i pump it until its hard, i still have to give it throttle to get it started. I'm assuming at least one of the jets in the 3 carbs are clogged up. I've since ordered OEM gaskets for carbs to get them taken off and cleaned, I've ordered a new (factory inline) fuel filter, also i've ordered gaskets/ diaphragms for the fuel pump. I've also purchased a tachometer to confirm what my RPMs actually are because the gauge on the dash is claiming its idling at 1000 rpm and that seems way higher than what its actually turning. Anyone seen this before? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Nick

2. Member
    tach setting on back of tach incorrect ,clean complete fuel system throughly
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................