Bait Well Question

​Guys, I have owned my Stroker since 2001 but I have tried all I can do to keep the bait well between the seats dry. I close the valve, plug the drain, put rubber sealant around the plug etc. and still keep getting water in the well.

Anybody use the bait well for dry storage and if so what did you do to keep it dry.

2. Member
    Have you blocked the overflow in the top of the well?
    Robert

3. Member
    what I done on my boat is I took the hose loose from the valve to the boat then plugged the hose off. If I use the cooler when the ice melts it just goes into the bilge and I just pump it out.

Quote Originally Posted by 1badboat View Post
    what I done on my boat is I took the hose loose from the valve to the boat then plugged the hose off. If I use the cooler when the ice melts it just goes into the bilge and I just pump it out.
    Thant makes sense. Thanks I will take a look at doing this.

5. Member
    So the bait well is actually the cooler that has been modified to hold bait or fish, is that correct? If you fish waters with a lot of big fish I can see this being helpful in keeping fish alive, especially with 2 anglers fishing against each other. Is it plumbed to the original livewell or does it have it's own pump system with overflow?

Quote Originally Posted by Strokerdean View Post
    So the bait well is actually the cooler that has been modified to hold bait or fish, is that correct? If you fish waters with a lot of big fish I can see this being helpful in keeping fish alive, especially with 2 anglers fishing against each other. Is it plumbed to the original livewell or does it have it's own pump system with overflow?
    No plumbing in the bait well. It does have a drain on the bottom.

Call it what you want but I call it a ice chest and that is all I use it for. It is insulated so it holds ice pretty well. I guess you can use it for a bait well. All I know is it will hold a 12 pak of Budweiser in the bottles, Six bottles of water and two large bags of ice with room to spare.

Jeff

8. Member
    I have found that water from the livewell under acceleration, deceleration, and rough water finds its way into the storage compartments and "bait" well. Never been able to keep it totally out, so I drilled small holes in the corners to drain. The water travels in the channels between the lids. Am I the only one that usually runs with full livewells?

9. Member
    I found this to be true on my newer one. I ended up putting silicone around all the edges on the rear dry storage compartments as well as taping off the vents under the vent covers in the same compartments. This seemed to solve the problem. Water was seeping from the live well thru the non sealed edges into the dry storage. I also added some seal material to the top of the live wells as water would wick onto the carpet if the wells were full or the rig bouncing around on a run back.

10. Member
    Guess I need to try the silicone. I've already added the edging.

FYI, I lost my cooler lid after a 40 mile run at a tournament blast off, running mid 80's. Had to get a new one and carpet color isn't an exact match. All our lids are screwed in, and can work loose over time. I replaced the screws with bolts and lock nuts, including the rear hatches. If you check your screws, I'll bet all of them are somewhat loose.

11. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    mine is a bait well also I put a drain plug in the bottom hole and it stays dry

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998