Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I learned a hard lesson this last weekend

It started Friday night while I was with my wife, her cousin and daughter at a restaurant. Without any warning, pains or cramps, I started passing blood in the restroom. A subject that was kind of hard to bring up at the table with 3 women enjoying their dinner. Finally got a message to my wife that we had to leave immediately so we drop others off at the house and went to the hospital emergency. Anyways, after being there from Friday night to Monday evening, a lot of poking and monitoring, living off an IV, an upper GI and a colonoscopy they figured out I had an ulcer form in my colon. All of this because of one of 3 drugs I had started taking for back and hip pain. The drug was Naproxen. I was told by one of the doctors at the hospital that the FDA is considering taking it off the market because so many people are having similar problems from it. The scary part was there were not warnings or symptoms of any kind until it was too late. I was lucky I made it to the hospital before I lost too much blood. Before the bleeding finally stopped, I had a sinking feeling that I was crapping my life away down a commode. I would suggest anyone to do a little research before letting a doctor prescribe it for pain. On a positive note, I lost almost 15 pounds in 3 days!
    Bernard
    2012 Pheonix 921 - Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Joe4d
    get well soon,
    Oh and watch out if they put u on rantidine now.. Dont know of any bad side effects but it will cause a false positive for crystal Meth if you are subject to drug testing.

Dang, that is scary. Makes you afraid to take your meds. Get well soon Berger,

4. Member
    Oh man. Good to know they identified the problem. I hope you're feeling better soon, buddy.

Scary stuff, glad your doing better.

6. Member
    And you count on doctors to keep you healthy, not add to the problem. Glad you caught it when you did.

7. Member

8. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Hang in there Bernard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    Hang in there Bernard.

Glad to hear it turned out ok.

Thanks guys. I am doing a lot better.
    Bernard

12. Member
    Heck of a way to lose weight. Glad you are coming along. I was on double doses of that stuff for a month. I am very glad, now, that I stopped taking it 5 weeks ago.

Hope you are doing better, Bernard!! Naproxen Sodium is the main ingredient in over the counter Aleve. I don't know what the difference is between the prescription strength and the over the counter, but will definitely do some checking. I have been taking Aleve for years - that's scary!!

Never take it on an empty stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Larry View Post
    Hope you are doing better, Bernard!! Naproxen Sodium is the main ingredient in over the counter Aleve. I don't know what the difference is between the prescription strength and the over the counter, but will definitely do some checking. I have been taking Aleve for years - that's scary!!
    Thanks Larry, You are right, and any product with ibuprofen such as Motrin. Stompy that is correct about taking with food which is what I was doing but sometimes just a small amount of food. My dosage was 500mg twice a day and the label said if it caused an upset stomach then take it with some crackers or a small meal. My gastroenterologist told me that while taking this drug I should have been eating a lot of food at the time to counteract its side affects. I guess I wasn't eating enough. He suggested taking Tylenol instead. All this reminded me that my granddaughter suffered from stomach ulcers and acid reflux a few years ago from taking Motrin.
    Bernard

I take 500 mg NaproxenDR twice a day, plus Plaquenil and Humara for psoriatic arthritis. Never with anything more than big drink of almond milk in the morning dose. I never eat anything till usually 1 or 2 in the afternoon. I guess I need to start paying better attention. I do suffer (and I really mean suffer) from IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). Gastro doc says it is not related to the arthritis meds I take but I'm not so sure.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

17. Member
    Glad you found out what was causing the problem. Take care of yourself buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by westexbill View Post
    Glad you found out what was causing the problem. Take care of yourself buddy.
    Thanks Grumpy. Check this out. I poured my first round of worms today. Total was 130 with only 6 bad ones out of the bunch. What do you think.IMG_1857.jpg
    Bernard

image1-1.jpg
    This is a larger photo file. Hopefully more clear.
    Bernard

20. Member
    You are learning quick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast