Thread: Break in Fluids

Break in Fluids

Hello guys and gals. New forum member here. I picked up a brand new Z21 with a 250 pro xs two weeks ago. Survived hurrican Florence and now it is finally time to get the break in done this weekend. Given I can find an open boat launch. I have, in my many days of down time, tried to find how much oil and fuel I will be consuming for the first hour of break in. I know the proper break in procedure, the proper oil, and all the things necessary to get a good break in. What I am trying to make sure is that I have enough fuel and oil on board to complete the break in. Any information you all can provide would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    The proxs is programmed to run double oil during the breakin time. Just fill up your resivore and take along a gallon just in case and you'll be fine. Think my breakin time used roughly 1 tank of gas (51) gallons.

3. Member
    Thanks for responding! Like I said I dont want to get to the lake, get one hour in, and have to load up the boat to get more fuel or oil to do the remainder 2 hours. Fuel tank is full and oil resivoir is full and I am bringing 2 gallons of DFI oil with me. I guess worst case is I will need to fill up to do the last hour possibly.

4. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Sounds like you’re prepared for the break in process! I’m glad you made it through the hurricane. I guess my only concern, not knowing what body of water you’re going to and with the storm so close...watch out for debris! I’d hate to hear that beautiful new machine getting messed up by a submerged log or something!

Good luck
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

5. mikesxpress
    New boat. Came with a 2 stroke or 4.6L 4 stroke? If you ended up with an Opti vs the V8 on a new rig.... ...

6. Member
    I found one launch that is open but found videos online of people in local lakes dragging trees behind their boats to shore to clean up the lakes. So I guess I will either wait a while to break it in or have to drive West towards Charolotte where the lakes are good to go. As for the motor, it came with a 2017 250 Pro XS. Can’t recall how many literes it is.

7. Member
    Forgot to mention the boat is a 2017 model Z21 pro. I was suprised to find one still on the shoroom floor this close to the end of 2018. Needless to say jt was heavily discounted.

8. Member
    Dont forget to shut it down and fish a bit. Let the motor cool down between runs

9. Member
    My owners manual still has a 1 hr (3/4 throttle between 4200 to 5400 rpm range change rpm every 2 min) and then 3 hes of change rpm every 10 min. So 4 hour break in period total. I have heard things may have changed but im going out of the manual that came with my motor. After the first hour im considering “break in” done and plan on fishing! I tend to not make more than a 5 min run to a fishing spot so ill just keep track of what rpms im running at and change the rpms as necessary.

10. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDrb View Post
    My owners manual still has a 1 hr (3/4 throttle between 4200 to 5400 rpm range change rpm every 2 min) and then 3 hes of change rpm every 10 min. So 4 hour break in period total.
    What you quoted out of your owners manual about rpm for a set amount of time is talking about that particular rpm band range so I bet it takes 7-8 hours of motor run time to complete the 4 hours in the range that is specified. I have seen the computer print out for a few motors and it is shocking how much time they have at 1000 rpm or less and also surprising how few hours they have at 5000 and above. A lot of motors spend 40% of their life under 1000 rpm. When you account for idle in/out of the dock, loading/unloading,going back into shallow areas, using side scan and looking at structure there is a lot of time under 1000 rpm.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    New boat. Came with a 2 stroke or 4.6L 4 stroke? If you ended up with an Opti vs the V8 on a new rig.... ...

I bought a new 2018 Bullet with a new 2018 Pro XS Opti... The dealer had to search high and low for a 2S... I'll let you guys figure out if the new 4S are the real deal... Me, I'll stay with the proven technology... My 4th Opti and nothing other than routine maintenance on all of them... Dan