Minn Kota Maxxum 80 squealing

Noticed something strange the last 2 times out on my Maxxum 80. Set the dial anywhere from 0 - 65 or above 90 and it's great, nothing unusual. If I set it at 70 to 85 it makes a squealing noise, not real loud but noticeable. Found about 4 inches of mono and some pad stem strings when I pulled the prop off when I first noticed it. Took it out today and same thing. Any suggestions on what this might be AND how would I fix it?
    2009 G3 Eagle 180 / 2009 Yamaha F115 / Minn Kota Maxxum 80 / Helix 7 Chirp SI GPS G2N on Bow & Console

2. Member
    Does it squeal without the prop? Could be an issue with the prop. With the line around the shaft,it may have some water in it and messed up the bearing. Remove the prop and run it,if it still squeals,the remove one of the screws behind the prop and look for signs of water intrusion. If so,it needs to go to the shop.

3. Member
    Thanks Rip Bass, I'll rry that tomorrow. Hopefully I don't have to rebuild.
    2009 G3 Eagle 180 / 2009 Yamaha F115 / Minn Kota Maxxum 80 / Helix 7 Chirp SI GPS G2N on Bow & Console

4. Member
    There is only one bearing in the lower unit. It is attached to the armature on the front end bell end. If it's ever had moisture in it, it will get rough and squeal.
    As said above, check for water in the lower unit by removing one of the bolts. The bolt will show signs of moisture if it's present.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

5. Member
    Ok, finally had time for the boat. Ran the trolling motor in the garage, both vertical and horizontal - no noise. Changed props - no noise. Removed bolts one at a time to check for rust/moisture - nothing! Put it back together, guess I'll try it on the water with the old prop and see if the noise comes back.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

6. Member
    Well it was the prop! Ran an older prop for 1/2 day without any noise, replaced with the suspect prop and it started squealing again. Guess I'll go buy another $40 piece of plastic.

7. Member
    Why don’t you try filing down the edge of the prop first.It about has to be the front edge or the lip that fits inside the motor hub. Most likely won’t take much filing,if it was too much out of shape it wouldn’t fit.