Yamaha 225 SHO Prices

http://www.yamaha-outboardsale.com/y...ale-p-278.html, New Price $11,000
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-OUTB...784255088?epid New Price $20,810.00
    https://www.boats.net/product/access...-MOTOR-VF225LA New Price $17,285.85
    https://www.lmcboats.com/yamaha-outb...yamaha-engines $17,914.00
    http://www.sale-sports.com/products/...V-Max-SHO.html New In-Stock $8,318.00

Guys,

This is crazy! My dealer doesn't have a Yamaha 225 SHO in stock and my 2006 Yamaha 225 HPDI is blown up again. This time 21 months and 100 hours after the last $6000 rebuild. I ran Yamalube and a little extra Yamalube in the gas for added protection. That didn't work.

Searching online for a New Yamaha 225 SHO is a joke. Look at these sites and look at these prices...

What do you guys think?

2. Member
    First, you don't mix oil and gas in the HPDI. That's a Merc thing.

As for those SHOs, the $17K+ I would trust. The others seem like a scam, or they are International sales, and you are dealing with a currency conversion.

$18-20K for a new SHO re power is the price range

3. Member
    RandyT, Adding oil to the gas may not be the right thing to do buy my dealer was adament about adding it. So, I did exactly that since he's in control of the warranty. Unfortunately, it blew cylinder #2 again, same cylinder as last time. It's BS to spend $6K on this repair and to see it fail 21 months later. Sorry, I am extremely frustrated at the whole situation.

4. Member
    When a dealer recommends something that is in direct conflict with the owners manual it's time to find another dealer. That said, I wouldn't be spending a dime with that guy at any point in the future, even if it meant switching engine manufacturers to use another dealer.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

Just curious about these since I run a 250 SHO. Curiosity kills the cat, Huh?

1. Hong Kong
    2. St. Petersburg, Fl
    3. Albany, Ga
    4. Houston, Tx
    5. Indonesia

As you can see the ones in the U.S.don't give'em away. You can always go to HK & Indonesia to check them out, LOL. Shipping estimate from HK only $5.00.

6. Member
    $24,000 Boat in 1/2015 + $7,000 in Repairs on 1/2016 + $18,000 New Motor in 9/2018 = $49,000 just to go fishing and I am still in a 2007 Skeeter ZX225.

I could have bought an ocean front property in Key Largo....

Quote Originally Posted by Biggestjig View Post
    $24,000 Boat in 1/2015 + $7,000 in Repairs on 1/2016 + $18,000 New Motor in 9/2018 = $49,000 just to go fishing and I am still in a 2007 Skeeter ZX225.

I could have bought an ocean front property in Key Largo....
    Oh I know. Boy toys have gotten out of control. I remember the "good ole days"......14' Jon boat, 35 lb MK & if I really wanted to go fast, just throw the 9 on the back. I may have had a $1000 in everything needed to fish. Really miss those days but will keep my Triton for now ( until it blows) LOL. Just say the hell with it & enjoy.

8. Member
    I feel your pain! That makes me want to get rid of mine. Just rebuilt mine after 110 hours. I cant believe there was never a "fix" for the hpdi. Someone somewhere has to know the root cause of #2!!!

Yeah, sure hope the SHO does better.

10. Member
    . Someone somewhere has to know the root cause of #2!!![/QUOTE]

Detonation and or preingnition. Higher temps in that cyl requires better fuel than Yam is specing. They run so close to the edge that anything[poor fuel, injector, carbon, ect ect] causes a mess by either rattling the ring locating pin out or eating the top of the piston away. That was the engine that needed a knock sensor way more than the ox66. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

11. Member
    Why can't we simply replace or repair cylinder #2 rather than a complete rebuild?

12. Member
    I have an 06 225 hpdi # 6 cylinder blow with 287 hrs. So what do you do rebuild or go for new SHO. Once injector fails with zero warning cylinder will blow. Is it reasonable to think on a 4 stroke that an injector can fail and not blow a cylinder. Not very happy with Yamaha right now, $18k for a 200 hr motor. What do i do with blown motor. Thanks for any advice.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ML71 View Post
    I have an 06 225 hpdi # 6 cylinder blow with 287 hrs. So what do you do rebuild or go for new SHO. Once injector fails with zero warning cylinder will blow. Is it reasonable to think on a 4 stroke that an injector can fail and not blow a cylinder. Not very happy with Yamaha right now, $18k for a 200 hr motor. What do i do with blown motor. Thanks for any advice.
    You can send it to Hydro-tec to have it rebuilt or order one online from Crowley marine and have your local guy replace it. If the cylinder wall isn't scored too bad you may could just rebuild that head a lot cheaper.

14. Member
    The cylinder is not repairable. My issue would be having spent the money on new power head and it goes bad also. Even if i get all the injectors replaced, which i would, if the injector fails I'd be back to same thing. A reputable dealer said "oh another 200hr motor blown" before he even investigated what was wrong. That doesn't give me much comfort in the 2 stroke that cost that much. So would it be better to take that money spent on repairing it and sell the motor for parts and get a SHO.

15. Member
    My '14 250 SHO blew at 196 hours, so unfortunately, 4 strokes provide a guaranteed fix either!

John